RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help! Repair/Restoring Slide Image

Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Re: Help! Repair/Restoring Slide Image

Thanks for the tip gordonb! I started scanning in JPEG (only cause I didn't know any better!) till I had a conversation with one of my co-workers who does this kind of thing as a second job and he gave me some of the same tips!

I do have several that I need to rescan and I will use the tips you provided and see if it helps!

Sherry
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2009, 02:44 PM

well i wud like to refer u guyz to Clipping Images. They r really Servicing a good quality images to me in a regular basis..I do all my personal and official jobs done by dem. You guyz can try them out. Mail them at info@clippingimages.com . Also, u guyz can recommned my name " Tanveer Masud" to them to get a good care:P I hope they will take good care of ur works. Best of luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Veer, welcome to RP.

please do not post unrelated advertising in this forum. if you wish to advertise here, please use the 'Classifieds' forum. future posts of this kind will simply be deleted as spam.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyekid View Post
Thanks for the tip gordonb! I started scanning in JPEG (only cause I didn't know any better!) till I had a conversation with one of my co-workers who does this kind of thing as a second job and he gave me some of the same tips!

I do have several that I need to rescan and I will use the tips you provided and see if it helps!

Sherry
Sherry,

It can seem daunting some days. A huge stack of old slides and photo albums but you will be amazed how picking away at it slowly will create a wonderful Family Archive. My father passed away in 2004 and I missed the opportunity to go through his families albums and have him explain who these people were. Luckily he left a fairly complete genealogy and I've been fortunate finding little tidbits here and there (I love people who write on the back of photographs :-) ) and correlating these disparate findings.

Now I'm up to almost 2000 images from the 1860s through the 1980s. My siblings are getting trained to keep an eye out for old pictures and pass them on to me. Being slightly Obsessive/Compulsive (OCD) helps ;-) (well at least I wash my hands a lot :-0 ). I'm now pushing the limits of Elements on a regular basis which is a sign I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the full version of PhotoShop.

A few further points to help your sanity:
  • Devise a folder structure. I use a base folder called "Master" then under that is a series of folders by decade (i.e. 188X, 193X, ...) and under those folders for specific years as they become known.
  • Devise a naming structure. I use Scan_192X_001.tif, Neg_1954_03.tif or Slide_1963_27.tif for scanned photos, negatives & slides respectively. Usually you can accurately guess the decade from the clothing, hairstyles and ages of the subjects so most images start out in the "decade" folder with an "X" in the filename and as I can identify the specific year the "X" is replaced and the file is moved to a year sub folder. Once you have the year don't forget to use <CTRL>+J to change the date on the image.
  • As I retouch an image I use Elements naming structure for the working file (i.e. Scan_192X_001_edited-1.tif) and they are saved in "Version Sets" with the original. The final retouched image is the only one I keep (If one is ever done tweaking an image) deleting all intermediate backups and then the final version is used to generate JPEGs at resolutions appropriate for web display or print as appropriate.
  • Figure out how to store your originals. I use the original carousels for slides, binder pages from Print File for my negatives and archival file folders with unbuffered interleaving tissue for prints. All are cross-referenced to the filenames.
  • Dust and dirt are your enemies. Find a place to buy several cans of "Dust Off" and several pairs of white cotton lint free gloves. Starting with less dust on a scan is easier than fixing it in photoshop.
  • and most importantly ... Have fun!
Regards,

Bruce
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonb View Post
[*]Turn off all adjustments (i.e. "Descreening", "Color Restoration", "Backlight Correction", "Dust Removal" & Digital ICE") - These things can be done much better in Elements.
I agree with everything about that statement except for "Turning off digital ICE." ICE is both a hardware and software solution. ICE does not work with everything (especially B&W), so you may not want it on for those reasons. But it can't be done later with software only. If you want automatic dust removal than leave ICE on (unless it creates artifacts or other problems).

Of course you can always go through and remove each dust particle in PS or elements later. But if ICE works for the particular image you might as well let it do the heavy lifting.

Lars
owner - http://www.slidescanningpros.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Bell View Post
I agree with everything about that statement except for "Turning off digital ICE." ICE is both a hardware and software solution. ICE does not work with everything (especially B&W), so you may not want it on for those reasons. But it can't be done later with software only. If you want automatic dust removal than leave ICE on (unless it creates artifacts or other problems).

Of course you can always go through and remove each dust particle in PS or elements later. But if ICE works for the particular image you might as well let it do the heavy lifting.

Lars
Have you ever tried not using ICE? IMHO ICE creates more artifacts than it corrects, takes way too long and I've never met anything that couldn't be better done by a human taking care using PS.

Bruce
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Hi,

Yes, I've done just about every combination possible. Sometimes ICE works great, sometimes not so great. It just depends on the situation and the film type. I don't think a blanket statement like "never use" or "always use" can be applied to ICE.

My only point is that it is the one option that can not be done later, because of the hardware side of that technology.

Lars
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration