RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help! Repair/Restoring Slide Image

Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 PM

Help! Repair/Restoring Slide Image

Good Evening to all the good folks here at RP!

I have a daunting task ahead of me and am looking for a good starting point!

I am fairly new to restoring/correcting photos (other than the "quick fixes" located in my camera software!) but my daughter gave me a copy of PS Elements 6 for Christmas to help me with along my long road ahead. Over the past few weeks I have been scanning all of the photo's and slides that my Grandparents had in their home. A lot of them were just piled in old boxes but it included several hundred 35mm slides. After contacting several photo print shops inquiring about converting the slides to digital images I purchased a very nice Epson Photo/Negative Scanner (under $150 vs .50 per slide!) and began the task of scanning each and every photo and slide. My goal was to correct/restore the pictures that needed it and make a slide show DVD for my grandparents for Christmas. This task was cut short when my grandfather passed away on Dec 12.

I have been reading a lot of the posts here, watching a lot of tutorials online, purchased "Photoshop Elements 6 for Dummies" and just kinda muddling through several photos.

One of the major problems that I am having with the several of the slides is sever fading, I'm not quite sure how to proceed with these.

I am attaching one of the "worst" that I'm dealing with.... any and all suggestions are welcome! Up to this point I have been playing with different levels and have had some pretty good results! A lot of these slides were taken during a trip from Ohio to AZ in 1963 (Most of them taken at the Grand Canyon) so quite a few of them have the sky's blown out in them!

Thanks for your time and consideration!
Sherry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img148.jpg (98.7 KB, 173 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Re: Help! Repair/Restoring Slide Image

Hello, Im new on here, great site when i was working for a photo lab i did the photo restores on some on the photo's here is what i have done.
Fixed colour removed dust and scratches, im sure you could do more but this was a 5min job. Im not sure how to attach image if you could tell me how ill upload image. Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 09:59 PM

Smile Re: Help! Repair/Restoring Slide Image

haha had to go to advance, remember 5min job. but shows you an idea on what happens when colour fix and heal brush does.. Stacey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img148edit2.jpg (81.4 KB, 136 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Thanks Stacy! That looks better than what I started with! Actually the photo that I uploaded had a few adjustments to it before I could even see the content of the slide (just adjusted the contrast when I scanned it!) I'm thinking of rescanning it with out any adjustments and see what I can do!

Like I said I'm really new at this and am just getting started on repairing some of these old ones.

Here is one that I did earlier (it was in much better shape than the one I posted!) this was just a color correction and fixing the color casting!

Sherry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img133.jpg (99.0 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg img137.jpg (94.4 KB, 100 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 AM

Practice makes perfect, I started knowing nothing and my knowledge is so much better now, i got photoshop CS4 for Christmas
In that photo there was a slight blue tinge to it, i removed that by colour correction and also removed the major dust and scratches in the photo.

But other wise that is great work
What program are you using to fix the images??

If you would like some more help etc or an image done i would be more than happy to do that.
Stacey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img1371_1.jpg (94.9 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 02:45 AM

I think a little warmer colors could help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img133_chillim.jpg (153.0 KB, 64 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Thanks Chillin and Stacy! The after picture of the little girl (me!) was just a quick fix with Photoshop Elements 6 (I only did the color cast correction nothing else). Here is a copy of the same picture with a little more work. I applied a warming filter, adjusted the H/S a little, used a 22px clone (set at 80% opacity) to correct the dust/scratches on the walls, and then used a 6px clone (in lighten mode at 75% opacity) to cover a blue blotch right under my chin.

Like I said in my first post, this program is very new to me and I'm still working my way around how to use the layer thingy! I know that there is a way to isolate specific areas on a picture to adjust only that area (ie: dark shadows around eye's and such) but I have quite figured it out yet!

Sherry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img137-Retouched.jpg (94.3 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 12:35 PM

If you haven't tried it already, try using the Multiply blending mode. If you're dealing with images that are over exposed or faded it can help to build up image density.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the tip J.P! I will give that a try and see how I can work it into my damaged images! I have been reading through a lot of the message board traffic and looking into the video tutorials, I have almost every problem that has been posted here in one or more of the images I have!

It will be a long and tedious journey! I'm so glad I've found this forum!

Sherry
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Sherry,

Welcome to Retouch Pro. I'm a newb to this site as well though I have been using Elements with an Epson Scanner for a few years now. Here are some thoughts gained after scanning 1400+ slides:
  • Think about a file naming structure (e.g. Scan_20090105_001.tiff) and using directories to separate subjects.
  • Tag things in the organizer as you go. I use People, Places, Events, Dates as categories & tags (Mike, Washington, Birthday, 2001)
  • Back things up.
  • Use "Professional Mode" in Epson Scan. Starting with a good scan leads to better results in PhotoShop.
  • Turn off all adjustments (i.e. "Descreening", "Color Restoration", "Backlight Correction", "Dust Removal" & Digital ICE") - These things can be done much better in Elements. You might want to leave "UnSharp Mark" enabled & set to "Low" or "Medium" as I find the scans very soft otherwise.
  • If the preview shows a strong color cast then use the "Histogram Adjustment" button to set the levels. For each of the red, green and blue channels move the black & white triangles to the edge of the "hump". In most cases this will eliminate or at least greatly reduce the color cast.
  • Save as a TIFF file rather than a JPEG
  • Scan in High Bit Mode (i.e. using 48-bit color rather than 24-bit color).
  • Open the file in Elements and adjust for tone & Contrast (i.e. use the "Levels" control under the "Adjust Lighting" Submenu of the "Enhance" Menu or "Ctrl + L") then convert back to 8-bit mode (Using the "8-bits/Channel" option on the "Mode" submenu of the "Image" Menu).
Mat Koslowski has a not too bad book on using elements for restoration but Katrin Eismann's book is the bible though it is oriented towards the professional using the full version of PhotoShop.

Good luck and remember, take your time & always work on a copy rather than the original.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration