RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Readable Text in Photos

Old 02-09-2009, 12:35 AM

Re: Readable Text in Photos

I wanted to close this out. with a summary of what was tried and the result. It was a true gray scale, but it was converted to RGB color for some of the trial and error experimentation, After applying PS tools of every type, in numerous combinations and sequences, the conclusion is that Kraellin was right on: the 'text' isnt all there due to the original shot's focus, resolution and angles resulting is missing data in almost every letter, making it VERY difficult, if not impossible to restore. Thanks to all who contributed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2009, 09:44 AM

I just saw the example and my first reaction to it was if it were crucial for a court display or hearing I would have had the panels re shot. I have done work like this before and if the image is not there there is no way to enhance it no matter what is tried. I have worked with similiar types of photos for document enhancement and court presentations.
Re shooting would save time and money and there are photographers who would be happy to do it as a volunteer service.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Excellent idea, of course. If only the world were this simple. This a large three-panel sign of the name list at the Minidoka Japanese resident relocation camp in Idaho. Probably 60 year old photo, owned by The Friends of Minidoka, a non-profit group. Alas, the sigh no longer exists. I was originally told that this was the only record of the people in the camp, but I learned today that there are other partial lists and they wanted this for comparison.

As mentioned, I was able to enhance the front panel enough to make it readable.

Joe
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration