RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Cracked photo and retouched image

Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 AM

Re: Cracked photo and retouched image

I greet.
It is necessary to change brightness of color. I have changed contrast on start and brightness. I directed bandy to part of whiteness color. I have boosted saturation of black color next. Probably, it deletes flaws on photo each personal technique. enjoy

They let's remember, that I am beginner ;D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rodzinasoprano (1).jpg (93.9 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM

D,
Looks great. Thank you I will put this on my list of things to try. So much help on this site.
sluggo
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 12:20 AM

hi sluggo. welcome to RP.

you asked for a critique. i'm posting my own work on your image as such. ask me whatever you wish about it. i'll also say that if you're new at all this, you did quite a good job. nice detail work on the majority. i am curious as to why the heads look wider in your rendition as opposed to the original. did you change the aspect ratio of the image? also, the middle boy's face needs fixing as far as the shadows/dirt. it's too dark. on the woman on the right, sitting, her apron is way too white, probably blown out by an over-exposure of the original shot. regardless, a mask with some curves done and maybe some clone for texture, would help it look more natural. along the base of the image, in the carpet area, there are also some blown out white areas. depending on the client you're working for, these can be cloned out also. i normally do, but check with the client.

but the main thing is... 60 hours? uhm, that's a bit much, especially if you're going to make a living on this (i'm just teasing here. i know you're learning ).

it's a nice job. in fact, it's a very nice job! the only two things that really bug me are, the middle, standing boy's face being dark and his head looks wider.

btw, my attached took about 2 1/2 hours. still too long, but i didnt take any shortcuts like a noise reduction filter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forbus_retouchpage-1-k-1j-rp.jpg (194.0 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
hi sluggo. welcome to RP.

you asked for a critique. i'm posting my own work on your image as such. ask me whatever you wish about it. i'll also say that if you're new at all this, you did quite a good job. nice detail work on the majority. i am curious as to why the heads look wider in your rendition as opposed to the original. did you change the aspect ratio of the image? also, the middle boy's face needs fixing as far as the shadows/dirt. it's too dark. on the woman on the right, sitting, her apron is way too white, probably blown out by an over-exposure of the original shot. regardless, a mask with some curves done and maybe some clone for texture, would help it look more natural. along the base of the image, in the carpet area, there are also some blown out white areas. depending on the client you're working for, these can be cloned out also. i normally do, but check with the client.

but the main thing is... 60 hours? uhm, that's a bit much, especially if you're going to make a living on this (i'm just teasing here. i know you're learning ).

it's a nice job. in fact, it's a very nice job! the only two things that really bug me are, the middle, standing boy's face being dark and his head looks wider.

btw, my attached took about 2 1/2 hours. still too long, but i didnt take any shortcuts like a noise reduction filter.
Kraellin,
I love critiques, learned that while I was building web pages, Actually good ones make your work look better, and I learn a lot from them. I am really new to this, I did take a few lessons 3 or 4 years ago, then got busy doing a lot of other things. Forgot most of what I learned except always work on a copy, save often and blow em way up to work on them. I have trouble judging how to clone the correct colors and/or shades of gray in B&W. In this I haved been bugged by the black not being black and the whites are overblown. But some good advice as to how correct that problem has been given, now to study that. I have no idea as to why the boy's head is wider in one image, I am not sure. I did not change the aspect ratio knowingly, however, I loaded it into Paint Shop Pro Photo x1 and worked a while then one day I did not know what I needed to use there and being more familiar with Photoshop 7.01 I loaded into that app. Maybe the two different apps saw things differently. PSP has some nice features that are missing from Photoshop 7. And I swapped back and forth more than once. But I need to make a closer comparison when I do that. Sure glad you pointed that out. When I make a mistake it is very hard to detect it, but others see it right away. Finding my own mistakes is a very hard thing for me. That is why I like critiques.

As far as the darkness in the all the faces on the back row, that has tended to be a problem for me to lighten them, but some nice ideas have already come from the people here.

Sometimes after a few hours of close detail work I get tired and start taking short cuts and that is wrong. When one starts to get tired, the mistakes and shortcuts make things ugly. I try to stop immediately but then there is just one more little thing to do before I quit and then there is one more little thing to do and I should have quit along before that. That is one of the hardest lessons to learn, at least for me.

Thanks for your kind words and I sure like what you did, especially to the rug. The learning curve is steep but well worth the price. I will be back into working with the picture by Monday if all goes well. This is a good place and so many nice people here. Thanks again for your help. I am sure the questions will be coming as I try to come up to the work of the good people here.
sluggo.

If this does not flow smoothly and make good sense, my wife fell Thursday night and we did not know if she had broken her ankle or not. But she refused to go the the E.R. She said she would not feel any worse staying at home and going to the Doctor on Fri AM. We got her home Friday about noon with a severely sprained ankle. Then my Sciatica nerve which had been sligtly irritating turned in to a flaming roaring pain, after I spent Fri afternoon removing my old computer and large old heavy monitor out and putting up my new computer and monitor. That really did the trick. So this morning my son had to come over and take me to a clinic that is open on the weekend; no E. R. for me either. Now I am taking too much pain killer to make good sense, so it will be Monday before I start back on the image repair job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 10:25 PM

thanks, sluggo
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 PM

I wanted to try too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forbus_retouchpage2.jpg (86.3 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM

First time post here, I just thought I would give it a shot too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forbus_retouchpage(a).jpg (90.9 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2009, 03:48 PM

Wow!! Looks good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2009, 02:52 PM

to all who have helped with this project.
Sorry to be so long in getting back to you. Last Friday week ago, I moved my old heavy 19in vt monitor. No too heavy perhaps 30 -40 lbs, and due to a previous injury to the same lumbar disk, the disk once again becamer herniated pressing against the sciatica nerve, causing extreme pain and weakness in the right leg. Usually this heals itself in 4 - 6 weeks. Hope to be back here soon and working on the picture. I have not been able to get to my computer even to read emails until the past couple of days.
sluggo123
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration