RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Cracked photo and retouched image

Old 02-18-2009, 09:02 PM

Cracked photo and retouched image

A friend gave this picture to work on. I am new at this but I did the best I could, in fact probably over done it. Still some of the girls faces are too dark, the little girl in the center lost her right ear. I am using Photoshop 7.01 and Corel Paint Shop Pro X1
please critique:

http://home.comcast.net/~ebrown1927/...d/retouch.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 PM

Re: Cracked photo and retouched image

Hi Sluggo, (I remember a cartoon character named sluggo from the old Nancy comic strip)

Took a quick try at the little girl with a missing ear.

On the unretouched photo I used the lasso tool and made a selection of the good ear and hen jumped it (CTRL + J) to its own layer. Then I went to EDIT and down to TRANSFORM and did a horizontal switch. Moved the ear to the other side. Lowered the opacity of the layer to position it and then returned the opacity to 100%. Added a mask and removed the extra of the selected part that was not needed.

Did a little quick retouching to get rid of the other artifacts and then flattened the image prior to positing.
dc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ear.jpg (36.6 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 02:42 AM

The photo requires a very small clone tool at very high magnification to fill in detail with similar surrounding detail. The facial features were dark and flat... they needed sculpting with highlights on the foreheads and cheek bones, etc with some very pale white, of they can be dodged to a lighter tone very gently.

I didn't chase down every single dust spot, but the important details are done... I think that you lost the contrast in some areas with your version... pay close attention to shadows and highlights....

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forbus_retouchpage-etd.jpg (99.2 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Terry D; 02-19-2009 at 02:47 AM. Reason: trying to attach image
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCobb View Post
Hi Sluggo, (I remember a cartoon character named sluggo from the old Nancy comic strip)

Took a quick try at the little girl with a missing ear.

On the unretouched photo I used the lasso tool and made a selection of the good ear and hen jumped it (CTRL + J) to its own layer. Then I went to EDIT and down to TRANSFORM and did a horizontal switch. Moved the ear to the other side. Lowered the opacity of the layer to position it and then returned the opacity to 100%. Added a mask and removed the extra of the selected part that was not needed.

Did a little quick retouching to get rid of the other artifacts and then flattened the image prior to positing.
dc
That is where I got the name sluggo from the Nancy strip. Always was in our Sunday Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
DCobb,
Thanks so much for your help, especially the steps you pointed out. Those will be very useful. I have never worked with Masks but I need to learn how to do that. Great job. I really appreciate the help you gave me on this, I had about 60 hours on this and probably 30 hrs was reading the books and making errors until I had I could get it right or at least as close as I could. Again thanks so very much.
sluggo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
The photo requires a very small clone tool at very high magnification to fill in detail with similar surrounding detail. The facial features were dark and flat... they needed sculpting with highlights on the foreheads and cheek bones, etc with some very pale white, of they can be dodged to a lighter tone very gently.

I didn't chase down every single dust spot, but the important details are done... I think that you lost the contrast in some areas with your version... pay close attention to shadows and highlights....

Cheers
Terry D,
Thank you very much for your help. I need a lot of practice. I used a magnification of 500 and my clone brush was set on 1 to 6px depending on where I was. On the larger parts I used 10 - 25 px. And I used the healing brush in some areas. This is my first try on such a cracked and spotted photo. I really would have like a little more detail on how you get a lighter tone using the dodge brush. I really am a beginner at this work. But thanks to the great info that you provided I will get into the dodging technique a few nights this week. The person I did the work for went head over heels in praise for what I had done but I knew it was not really very good. Again Terry, I really do appreciate all the help especially the time that you and D Cobb spent on this picture. Do you know of a good tut on using the dodging brush?
Sluggo
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM

You are welcome.

Dodging is a technique carried over from darkroom tricks. Just think of the tool as subtracting dark tones when you paint with it. Conversely the BURN tool darkens any tone under the brush.

With these tools you have choices for what tones they affect.

-Dodge the / HIGHLIGHTS, MIDTONES, SHADOWS

-Burn the / HIGHLIGHTS, MIDTONES, SHADOWS

-And how much they add or subtract / opacity and flow

The opacity and flow and hardness or softness of the brush or clone tool are also very effective ways of applying subtle changes in facial areas where you want to be very genlte with tonal changes.

Hope this helps.

T
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 01:33 PM

These are good tips -- I would suggest after you are done and have the pic you provided I would duplicate the layer and add a small grain effect and put it at about 25% to add in some texture that matches all over.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
You are welcome.

Dodging is a technique carried over from darkroom tricks. Just think of the tool as subtracting dark tones when you paint with it. Conversely the BURN tool darkens any tone under the brush.

With these tools you have choices for what tones they affect.

-Dodge the / HIGHLIGHTS, MIDTONES, SHADOWS

-Burn the / HIGHLIGHTS, MIDTONES, SHADOWS

-And how much they add or subtract / opacity and flow

The opacity and flow and hardness or softness of the brush or clone tool are also very effective ways of applying subtle changes in facial areas where you want to be very genlte with tonal changes.

Hope this helps.

T
Saved these tips, I am making a file on repairing old photos that need repair. Thanks, it is really appreciated more than you know.
sluggo
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulafrog View Post
These are good tips -- I would suggest after you are done and have the pic you provided I would duplicate the layer and add a small grain effect and put it at about 25% to add in some texture that matches all over.
More great tips, I will surely give this a try. This also goes on the tips on using tools to repair old photos. People are so helpful on this site. Thank you, Paula.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Smile Re: Cracked photo and retouched image

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulafrog View Post
You are correct in adding texture back to the image Paul...I usually do this but it was heading for 4 am, I was tired and I don't want to give away ALL of my secrets.

T

I usually just lasso the larger areas that were retouched and add grain to those areas only... most old photos are full of grain and artifacts so doing it universally might be too much. But then with the layer, you could always erase all but the affected areas, thus leaving the grain where it is needed. OH.... go VERY gently on the addition of grain... better too little, than too much.

Last edited by Terry D; 02-19-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration