Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Finally finished

Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Re: Finally finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by malart View Post
It looks great and the blurred shoe/leg bugs me too. I copied it and run it with Nik Sharpener 3.0 and it helped it considerably. May you could try the demo version on it and form your own opinion.
Well, where is it? I looked every where to find what you did, but I dont see it here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learninlady View Post
Well, where is it?
http://www.niksoftware.com/sharpenerpro/usa/entry.php

Tried it, but don't use it. Though it's quite versatile and can be effective, it takes a while to become "talented" with it. Ultimately, I found that even on a speedy machine, it ran really sloooowwwww...

My 2¢
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Well, where is it? I looked every where to find what you did, but I dont see it here.
Here it is......I just let it go on default settings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sharpen.jpg (59.5 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 PM

Kate,

seems you have been at this for awhile. I just finished (I think) a restoration of a photo of my grandfather. I'm not sure how far to take it. The original is sepia but I restored in B & W. Are there any guidelines here...B&W or sepia? What about color...have you tried coloring the restoration? Just wondering if I should go that far?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 PM

looks good, kate
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 AM

Malart- Looks good, but for me it appears a bit grainy after sharpening, thats why I decided to just leave the shoes blurry, even tho its aggravating, I had to stand true to what she wanted and not to my thoughts. The importants to her was to see the faces of the family members, and I am sure they wont even notice the feet. Its a difficult seat to sit in when you keep perfection on your lap. I have to keep reminding myself 'what does the client see, and what do they want to see', and its not about me and my picky-oons...lol
Thanks Southbay - I have downloaded so much that I dont need another application - Ive got plenty of power but dont need to slow me down.
Skydog- I started this project somewhere in Sept/Oct of 2008. I took off for Holiday travels and such. Its been a very difficult project to say the least, there have been quite a few that were unrestorable that I did any way. She understands and is happy - well shes not picked them up yet, she may say "HA, forget it, they stink!". Nah, she will like 'em.
As far as colorization's and toning's, I would stick to what the customer wants. I ask if they want them to 'look' old when I'm finished or to set them in black and white, colorize, etc. Its difficult for me to remember, so I keep repeating it, its what the customer wants not me. Sometimes I just cant help myself and do something I think is nice and throw that in as a bonus. No charge. But again, always ask what THEY want to see, and if its for you, then why not both? or all three. There are tri-frames and something like that would look awsome! or even quad and have the original to start.
Thanks Craig! and Hello!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Malart- Looks good, but for me it appears a bit grainy after sharpening, thats why I decided to just leave the shoes blurry, even tho its aggravating, I had to stand true to what she wanted and not to my thoughts. The importants to her was to see the faces of the family members, and I am sure they wont even notice the feet. Its a difficult seat to sit in when you keep perfection on your lap. I have to keep reminding myself 'what does the client see, and what do they want to see', and its not about me and my picky-oons...lol
I just used the default settings only, I suppose I should have just brushed the effect on the shoe/leg area only and/or reduced the effect percentage. I still believe this plugin is good for this type of thing, even though I'm no expert with it but the more I play with it the more things I find it improves.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 04:28 PM

Thank Malart! I will definitely look into it!

I FINISHED MY NEW REVAMPED WEBSITE! OWIES, MY NECK HURTS

TAKER HER FOR A TEST RUN!
http://oldfadedmemories.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 04:35 PM

That's quite nice!

Your work on the B&W carriage in the woods is outstanding. Viewers may want more info on your printing capabilites and services. Overall, well done!

Oh...I really like your choice of site theme colours.

SB
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2009, 05:20 PM

Thanks Southbay,
I too like the surrey with the fringe on top one. I wish I could show them as they look in print as they are one hundred percent better. I can't optimize them and put them online without messing them up.
As far as colour goes, I searched a ton of competition sites, and they were all drab or goofy. so I decided to go with in between of those two ideas.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration