RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Any good books you can recommend?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:29 AM

Re: Any good books you can recommend?

Thanks for all the input. well I am going through my "Adobe Photoshop CS2 Classroom in a Book", great stuff, when I'm done I will have a good idea of what you all are talking about, when you describe your actions.
I have, "Digital Restoration From Start to Finish: How to repair old and damaged photographs" , by Ctein , and "Adobe Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (3rd Edition) (Voices That Matter)" by Katrin Eismann, in my Amazon wish list. I guess they are the best two books, I'll most likely buy both when I can.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM

If i'd have to choose just one book to learn advanced techniques in photographic restoration, Photoshop Restoration & Retouching - Katrin Eismann would be my first choice.

this book help`s me a lot....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Bahia View Post
If i'd have to choose just one book to learn advanced techniques in photographic restoration, Photoshop Restoration & Retouching - Katrin Eismann would be my first choice.
I agree! Learned a lot from it even though I'm not doing restoration and retouching. Just useful photoshop techniques ! Her Photoshop Masking and Compositing, and the newer Creative Digital Darkroom is good, too! If you're new, the last book could help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runfox View Post
Hey all, does any one have any good suggestions for books on Photo restoration with Adoboe Photoshop CS2? The only one I see that looks decent on Amazon is,"Photo Salvage with Adobe Photoshop", Jack Drafahl and Sue Drafahl. Any other suggestions? How did you all learn , books work for me, if I can find a good one.
Hello: I'm Kenia:

I'm old (72) and I've just recently began my Photoshop life. I'm the type of person that when I try to learn something I get totally obsessed. So say that, I'll share my obsessiveness with you. I bought two excellent books by the same author Katrin Eismann, one entitled Photoshop Masking and Composting and the other Photoshop Restoration and Retouching. Katrin is a world class teacher, not just a lot of verbage, but "follow along" teaching. Her books are like having your own personal "live" teacher by your side. I've restored and retouched a lot of my wife's very old (1800's) photographs, colorized many, done face "transplants" . If you have a Barnes and Noble close by check out these books. To buy I suggest e-bay (less expensive than a mall store).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 AM

I forgot to mention, I use Elements 7 and Photoshop 7. Another book I use is Photoshop 6 Bible (Gold Edition) by Deke McClellan. He also has some free online tutorials. Just Google his name. His book gives an explination of how the various tools work, along with examples. However this book is not dedicated to Restoration. I personally find it very informative as well as useful when I want to totally understand something.
As I said, I'm 72 and retired and am enjoying life and learning. I use to fish but I got injured while boating and can't fish so Photoshop has become my seco0nd love.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2009, 04:01 AM

Thanks for the replies Kenia, I'm 53 and just started learning Photoshop, so I guess im not too old to learn either. I'm just about done with my Adobe Photoshop CS2 Classroom in a Book. Every lesson I finish I'm like , wow I never knew you could do that! There is so much you can do, then I'm thinking , now what can I do with this new technique..... Cant wait to get done and get my next book on restoration. I have a whole bunch of pictures that need work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtism View Post
The best book that I've used is "Digital Restoration from Start to Finish" by Ctein. It is difficult to follow in places but that may be a function of my experience (or lack thereof). There are many examples and, in places, he gives several ways to solve the same problem.

Just Google "Ctein" and you will find it.

Curtis
I've found this to be an extremely helpful book. You can download the photos that are worked on in the book and do your own work on them. There is also a pretty good summary of his favorite plug-ins. I test drove most of them and ended up purchasing others, but it at least got me started on understanding the different plug-ins and which ones might be most helpful for the way I work. It isn't an easy book, but I too put that down to my insufficient PS knowledge. I do keep going back to it when I have a photo similar to one in the book.

I've seen so many recommendations on the Katrin book that I am going to order it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 PM

A book I own is called "Photoshop CS3 - Restoration and Retouching Bible" by Mark Fitzgerald. There may be a version out there for CS2. If there is, I highly recommend this author. I learned a TON out of this book, and it was always really easy to understand. I've had my copy a month and it's already got the edges worn and tabs all over everywhere. I use it a lot for reference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up Re: Any good books you can recommend?

I "found" another book by Katrin Eismann, The name of the book is "The Digital Darkroom". I even had to get me a "color wheel". I have really learned a lot more theory on the application of the various blending methods and color. But I'm really obsessive when learning something. I just gotta learn and do. If you have a Fry's Electronics or a Barnes and Noble you might take a look. I got mine at Fry's (but I'm a Fry's addict.). But in any event, I would recommend taking a look.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration