RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

A little help please

Old 03-02-2009, 05:51 PM

A little help please

I've had this photo of some ancestors for quite a while. Everytime I've tried to work on it, I end up quitting out of frustration. The photo itself is dirty but it looks like their actual clothes and the house is quite filthy. (I know they were farmers and maybe they just came in out of the fields. LOL)
Once I get rid of the fading, the dirt gets worse.
I just don't know what to do with this. Especially the ladies dress and apron. How far with cleaning should I go? How would you guys go at it?
Nan
Here's a link to the larger file
http://photosamples.homestead.com/Photos.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrWilkey sm.jpg (95.9 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM

Re: A little help please

Such a cool image! Pictures like that it is sometimes hard to determine what is dirt and what is damage, and doing things out of order can lead to much anger and frustration. I have found that you want to focus on getting the tone of the picture uniform before worrying about the dirt.

I use photoshop CS4 which may be different from what you are using. The first thing I would do is use an adjustment layer and tweak the mask to only affect the faded areas, use a big brush with soft edges to help it blend with the original layer. You may have to do more than one to target different areas. You may also need to stack adjustment layers on top of each other. I hate to say it but it can be a bit of trial and error.

A common point of frustration with photos such as this is trying to make one big adjustment to the entire image or large parts of the image. So break it into smaller sections and focus on small adjustments until your happy.

Once you even the tone of the picture even and where you want it, then you can continue with your restoration.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 08:28 PM

I downloaded the image and with a quick levels adjustment what you refer to as dirt on the apron I believe is a checked pattern, i did notice that near her right shoulder as you look at the picture is a fingerprint. The rest of the discoloration is that a discoloration in the blue and green channels you could change to black and white or gray scale and make your adjustments from there. I hope this helps point you in the right direction. if you dont mind i would like a chance to work on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

I really like the original texture/grain/dirt, or whatever it may be. I would go very lightly and only repair the obvious marks, preserving that old look.

Like the others, I would gently enhance the contrast (just a smidge).

A wonderful photo !
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM

I would have to agree with unimatrix001 about the checked pattern.

I took a quick go at it, this is what I came up with. I didn't try and clean up the damage at all I just worked on the getting rid of the fade issue on the right hand side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrWilkey-sm.jpg (98.2 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 PM

Jon, thanks for having a look. I've done selective levels adjustments on it but then I don't know the best way to proceed from there. The dirt shows even more once I get rid of the fading.

unimatrix, I do see that the apron has a small check pattern but also seems very dirty or stained. I keep trying to get that looking better without destroying the pattern.
I don't mind anyone giving it a try. Anythng that will point me in the right direction.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM

Wow, some more posts came in while I was typing.
Tommy, I guess maybe some of the dirt was probably acutal and not just because the photo is old. In that case it would only be right to leave it even though my brain is saying clean it up.
Jon, that's looking better all ready. I hope to start on it again tomorrow.

By the way, these folks are my great grandparents and it's the only known photo of them.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 09:33 PM

The dirt will show up more as you increase contrast to reduce fading, that is always going to happen. You are going to have trouble with the apron, if it was a higher resolution image I would say go for it! But I think you may be better off trying to get rid of the big spots on the apron with the patch tool and leave rest. If the patch tool doesn't create a nice edge another more tedious option would be to select a portion of the apron that has a similar tone as the damaged area. Create a new layer via copy and then drag it over the damaged areas then you can use a mask to blend the edges.

The pattern makes it a challenge, but hey that is how we get better!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Patron

A really rough quickie
copy bg
Channel Mixer.. Mono checked.. 13, 22, 60, -16
combine
copy
copy mans good eye, switched, positioned, masked, then darkened them both using history brush @ multiply
Neat Image masked for apron, hair, etc
heal n clone, heal n clone, heal n clone
sepia
copy
neat image @ reduced opacity and masked
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gr_Wilkey_RP.jpg (196.8 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM

Nan,
Had a try at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan View Post
I've had this photo of some ancestors for quite a while. Everytime I've tried to work on it, I end up quitting out of frustration. The photo itself is dirty but it looks like their actual clothes and the house is quite filthy. (I know they were farmers and maybe they just came in out of the fields. LOL)
Once I get rid of the fading, the dirt gets worse.
I just don't know what to do with this. Especially the ladies dress and apron. How far with cleaning should I go? How would you guys go at it?
Nan
Here's a link to the larger file
http://photosamples.homestead.com/Photos.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gr_Wilkeymod100.jpg (95.5 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration