RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

help, please

Old 03-09-2009, 11:48 PM

Newbie help, please

Hello, I was sent here from another board, I was sent this photo from my sister in-law, it's fella many moons ago. I want clean it up. (if possible) I downloaded Paint Shop Pro Photo x2 trial. But it's alot to take in. I watched the videos several times. Then I went to the help pages, I'm so confused! This the photo. All suggestions will greatly appreciated. Thanks josie ps the second photo is my first try, no layers. I'm having trouble understand layers. (how they work)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jean 1..jpg (16.5 KB, 147 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 AM

Re: help, please

Hi josie j,

welcome to RetouchPRO!

Unfortunately the image you attached is only slightly bigger than a postage stamp!

Please follow this link for instructions on size and quality of attachments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 AM

Josie>> I concur with flora, I immediately saw that quite a lot of that photo could be restored. however a larger version is a must for that to happen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Patron

Josie j, welcome to RetouchPRO!

At the present time your picture is 102 px X 83 px with a resolution 72.. ( that is only 1.4 inches wide and 1 inch high!) is it possible to rescan the picture much larger and at a resolution of at least 300?

A good starting size for posting here would be at least 1024 px X 833 px @ 72

For how to Resize pictures for the web using PSP and keeping it under 100K: (click here)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 PM

Josie>> Ol baldy's post reminded me of my manners. I should've said welcome too.

Anywho... If you have some kind of newer digital camera you could "fake a scan" by placing the photo as flat as you can on a non-reflective surface in a well (but not harshly) lit room and then simply take a picture making sure that the photo covers at least 70% of the viewfinder. That should give your image the appropriate proportions to work with if you subsequently follow Ol'Baldys recommendations on how to resize.

it's a "quick-and-dirty" solution but has been known to work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM

Photo restoration is fairly complex. There is no one right way to go about it. You do need a good high resolution digital capture of the photo to start with. Depending on the quality you are expecting, it might be worth your time to outsource this to a restoration lab that can digitally restore the photo and print you new archival copies, or even restore the original photo. They can provide you with a restored file also. I work with a place in Chicago called Joel Oppenheimer or Oppenheimer Editions. http://www.audubonart.com. They have many years experience with this type of work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2009, 05:07 PM

Josie,
Again, welcome !

Since you are new to restoration, everyone here generally recommends the same book to learn a very good overall process: Photoshop Restoration & Retouching (Third Edition), by Katrin Eismann, via New Riders publishing, 2006. The book contains a very good layout, hundreds of practice images, step by step procedures. (The book was published three times, so be sure to get the third edition.) While the book references Photoshop, it is easily applied to Paint Shop Pro.

You should also consider her sister book to clarify layers and masking: Photoshop Masking & Compositing, New Riders publishing, 2005.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 AM

First of all thank you for the warm welcome, and the advice. I'm trying to resize the photo, but when I try upload it, the box times out. But I've got modem problem. So that could be the trouble. So I'm going to wait til I have the new modem. Thanks to all. josie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2009, 10:25 AM

If you don't want to paint yourself (and us) in a corner you ought to upload a full res image. But you can't attach a full res image file as it is well over 100Kb.

To get around that limitation you can use one of these FREE Large File Transfer services – if you have a broadband connection! – to send your full res image to your own mail address, then open that mail message, copy the link that's in it, and paste/post that link here.

• Podmailing.com is FREE and allows transfer of unlimited numbers of files of unlimited size. I've transferred upto 6GB files without a hitch.
http://www.podmailing.com/

• Yousendit.com is FREE upto 1GB/month with max 100MB per transfer.
http://www.yousendit.com/

• Pando.com is FREE upto 1GB of files or folders per transfer.
http://www.pando.com/

Last edited by RokcetScientist; 03-11-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM

I don't know if this is better, I hope so. Now that I think you can see my photo, where do I start? Thank you all for your advise,please send more. josie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jean resize.jpg (56.0 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration