RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

I'm ready for some critiquing (-:

Old 03-13-2009, 02:03 PM

Re: I'm ready for some critiquing (-:

Thanks Wm, Lonnie and Nan...I'll work on that this weekend. I guess leaving the Mother's eyes dark is okay? There really isn't a way to bring out detail that isn't there, right?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM

Earthcharm,
Well, I certainly like what you have been doing with it. I just feel like it is heading a little too soft or blurred for my taste. Often times, when I have been asked for a restoration like this, the client really just wants the detail enhanced a little.

So, here is my take. Again, it's fast and no work on the background. It could certainly be better refined and taken a little further. But, you should get the idea.

I used a dust & scratch filter with a mask, painting in where I wanted the d&s to take effect. Then just did a little burning of edges to allow our eyes to see those edges better.

Just a thought !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1950-Diane-to.jpg (196.0 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 AM

Hi earthcharm,
  • nice 'cleaning up'
  • too strong contrast ... you lost nearly all details in the hair and other dark parts of the image..
  • I 'disagree' with the substitution of the whole background with a solid white block....
..that said, it is a very difficult picture to restore for which, in my opinion there is no 'global' fix but should be 'corrected' part by part... that, of course, depends on how much you want to work on it.... Given the conditions of the original I don't think it will ever look 'perfect' again ... but, since
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcharm
...I'm one of those darn perfectionists
too, I'll die trying ... (only kidding!)

You had great tips about the arms already so I worked on background, faces and eyes... I didn't do a very accurate restoration (you can still see hints of mold etc.) but enough to give an idea ....

I started selecting separately luminosity and shadows, copying my selections to new Layers and playing with these new Layers' Blending Modes:
  • Multiply for Luminosity (brings out more details in the highlights like in the = clearer definition of the arms..)
  • Screen + Soft Light for Shadows (lightens the ceiling and the faces)
Just remember to use Layer Masks to hide the parts where the correction might worsen the situation instead of improving it...

I continued working following the necessary steps (particularly the Blank Layers set to ...) described in this Tutorial ..

As I said ... it was a kind of 'quickie' ... and, unfortunately, I didn't find enough details on the woman's left eye to work on so I left it as it was ... but you could always 'borrow' an eye, or what can be seen of it, from a 'good' picture of a woman's face taken at the same or similar angle...

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask if you need more help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F_Didaughter-Cropped1.jpg (198.1 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Patron

Strokes for Flora!! Awesome Job!! Very Impressive Restoration Work!!

I am truly amazed at how much detail you have brought out and at the clarity of your restore!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Earthcharm,
I would agree with OlBaldy !.... Flora's work should be your target, as her work is some of the very best you will see. She has the gift, as they say.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Wow! Flora does have a special gift. This is certainly my new workmanship target! This is awesome work...thank you all for your input, effort and critiques; and I especially want to thank Flora for showing me what's truly possible. You have an intrinsic ability (-:

I'm going to work on your method today Flora, and if I run into any problems, I will contact you again (if you don't mind).

Grazie,
Earthcharm
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2009, 12:48 PM

earthcharm, 0lBaldy, TommyO,

thank you so much for your kind words!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthcharm
...I will contact you again (if you don't mind)
... anytime earthcharm .... e 'prego ... è stato un piacere!!!'
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Newbie More help needed from Flora (-:

Dear Flora,

http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/s...r-Cropped1.jpg

I took your advice by using the Image>Adjustment>Highlights/Shadows tool to select shadows and highlights and move them separately onto new layers where I coulr maneuver through the layer blending options and opacity sliders, but I just can’t seem to bring out the detail in the eyes that you were able to uncover. I’m so impressed—how the heck did you do it Flora? I’m now on a mission to learn how to do this no matter how long it takes me. If I can just master this one technique under your tutelage, it would be a great timesaving tool for my restoration arsenal. Could you re-emphasize the steps you took for bringing out the details in the mother and daughter's right eyes?

Vivete in Italia?
Grazie (-:
Sue McCloskey
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM

Hi again Sue,

I didn't use the Shadows/Highlights adjustment for my selection .... I selected Luminosity and Shadows separately so I could have more control on each individually.

Here is how I make ...(well Photoshop does it... ) the selections:
  • 1 - Click on your background Layer to activate it.
  • 2 - Press Ctrl+Alt+~ (up to Photoshop CS3) or Ctrl+Alt+2 (for CS4) et voilà ... you have selected the Layer's Luminosity.
  • 3 - With the selection still active (marching ants around it) simply press Ctrl+J and your selection will be placed on a new Layer on top of the background.
To select the shadows repeat steps 1 & 2 but, before pressing Ctrl+J, press Ctrl+I (or Ctrl+Shift+I) to invert the selection...

In my attachment you can see Luminosity and shadows on separate Layers.

As for the eyes, I used several "blank layers set to" Overlay, Soft light etc. using a white brush to emphasize the light parts and a black brush for the dark parts. Just play with the Opacity of both: brush and layers unil you are happy with the result. (Method described in the tutorial - link in my previous post).

Please, let me know if you need more help...

Prego ... e vivo per sei mesi in Italia e per sei mesi in Sudafrica... tu?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009-Mar-0024.jpg (199.7 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by Flora; 03-18-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: forgot about the eyes...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2009, 10:30 AM

Grazie, grazie, grazie...this really helps me a lot. Like I said, I'm determined to learn how you do your magic.

I live in St. George, Utah in the United States. It's a beautiful red rock area surrounded by many National Parks. I'll send you some photos if you like (once I get your email address). I'm impressed with your Photoshop abilities and especially envious of your ability to travel between Milan and South Africa each year. What a great life!

My sister lived with her husband in Firenze for about 2 years while he taught at the University there. She learned Italian and met many interesting people while she lived there. I don't speak Italian but I do use BABELFISH to translate. (-:

Well, I'd better get back to my real job!

Goda del vostro giorno,
Sue Mc
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration