RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

New Member first restoration

Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 AM

New Member first restoration

This is my first attempt at a serious restoation job , i was looking for restoration tips when asked by a family member to repair some old photos and i came across a site that offered this photo as a test peice(restore and recolour) for job offers so i thought i would give it a try.The forums here have been an immense help in finding help and tips on restoration techniques and so a huge thankyou to all those who have shared their knowledge on here.Any comments or tips on bettering my work would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg restoration1.jpg (90.9 KB, 205 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 AM

Re: New Member first restoration

OMG i just found a post on here with a reference to the neat image plugin for photoshop and tried it on my image , the skin improvement is amazing , a huge thankyou to the poster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test_job-copy.jpg (98.5 KB, 138 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 PM

hi mepaulus,
first of all: great skin color judgement!
IMHO the dress is a one-shoulder kind. And you cloned the teeth too much, they shouldn't be that white on the left corner of the lips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cun030876 View Post
hi mepaulus,
first of all: great skin color judgement!
IMHO the dress is a one-shoulder kind. And you cloned the teeth too much, they shouldn't be that white on the left corner of the lips.

Many thanks for your comments cun030876 , i see exactly what you mean with the teeth so i fixed it here ,regards the dress i was using a bit of artistic license lol as the site i found the original image from wanted to see creative design skills as well as artistic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg restoration.jpg (98.1 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 07:44 AM

Woa that's amazing...you just painted a whole woman back from nothing.Did you do this in photoshop? If this is your first attempt you have a gift yo. Go with it
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsT View Post
Woa that's amazing...you just painted a whole woman back from nothing.Did you do this in photoshop? If this is your first attempt you have a gift yo. Go with it
Many thanks for the encouragement MsT , yes i used photoshop CS3 with a couple of actions (decrack and smartduster) and plugins (Neat image and Polaroid scratch removal) all found through reading the forums here to work this photo with a lot of healing tool and clone.It probably took in the region of about 8 hours to complete because i am new to restoration so made many mistakes.I stole the teeth, the dress and a few patches of skin from a pic (i Googled "young black girl") she is shown in the thumbnail.Once again many thanks to all who shared their knowledge on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Young-black.jpg (93.6 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 07:45 PM

It is the same site here is my try at it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test_job_restored_haymelter 300.jpg (93.1 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 08:08 PM

I'm new here, and new to photo-restoration. I've done a bit of retouching here and there and some digital airbrushing, and I've really enjoyed it, so I figured I'd give the full-on restoration a go. This seemed like a good photo to start with. So here's mine.
The dress could use a bit more work. I think I need to practice with fabrics, and different textures, and that kind of thing, but I'm relatively happy with how the rest turned out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DoneB.jpg (92.8 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 PM

Actually Lily I think you did a great job! Only thing I may have suggested from my limited experience is to perhaps add a bit of color to the background, some sort of gradient even if very subtle. You nailed the important part though in the subject's head, hair and features.

If I was the customer: I'd be happy!

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention that the brown circle on the dress is kinda distracting though and not sure if that was suppose to be there?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM

Well, my friend, let´s say that is your first attempt and you must understand that critical opinions are more important than congratulations. First, everything is blured. Eyes, nose, mouths etc lost their shapes. The edges seem to be cut with some shaving blade. Try always to blur a little these shapes. Going back to the face. Restoration does not mean only eliminate the imperfections, details as scratches, spots etc by blurring, means PRESERVE the original image as much as you can, the strucure and the general original look and details. Blurring so much doesn´t mean this photo is "restored", in my opinion is just a blured and coloured image. Try to learn how to use some filters and also how to use the clonebrush and paintbrush to improve the final quality. This kind of a job can´t be solved with only plugins.
Well, don´t be sad, some 10-11 years ago I was in the same level as you are now. I´d never show to anybody my first "attempts" now but we all must consider that everyone has a beginning, it´s a long way untill we´ll be very good artists and all you need is a lot of work and patience.
I wish you the best luck and success
http://restorations.yolasite.com
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration