RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How do I deal with lines on photo?

Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 AM

How do I deal with lines on photo?

This is my first post here. I have used Photoshop Elements 7 for a while (and earlier versions) and know something about the the clone stamp tool and magic healing brush tool, but don't know where to start with this photo. I also have access to Photoshop CS3, but don't know my way around it yet.

It is not just the lines, it is the change of colour near some of them like on the man's jacket that I don't know what to do with.

Any tips gratefully received.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry_Myrtle_Wedding.jpg (18.6 KB, 177 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 AM

Re: How do I deal with lines on photo?

Those lines on the jacket almost look like the emulsion is lifted on the print. Is the print flat or is it warped? An easy way to tell is to scan it in two directions to see if the effect changes. If it is warped, you might be able to save yourself a bunch of work if you copy it with a camera rather than a scanner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 AM

Thanks Mike. I don't have the original unfortunately. I will ask the person who sent it if it is warped or not.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 AM

I had a go at this , because of the dreamy effect it was quite easy to work most of it with the smudge tool.My problem was i took out most of the blue and could,nt get it back lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding.jpg (93.6 KB, 112 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Fer:
I'm pretty much a PhotoShop novice when it comes to understanding and using the real power of that program, but here's what I did using PhotoShop CS3 on a PC:

1. Make a duplicate of the Background layer, and make that duplicate layer your active layer.

2. Adjust the picture's overall color by selecting Image/Adjustments/Levels ... from the toolbar. Once the Levels dialogue box is open, select each color channel individually (ignore the composite RGB channel), and for each selected channel, move the left (black) and the right (white) pointers at the bottom of the histogram to where the main body of the graph just begins. As you do this, don't worry that the picture's color is "off"; when you do the last one, the color will pop in place.

3. For the major portions of each crack in the picture that I tackled, I covered them by selecting small segments of the cracks themselves using a selection tool set with a slight feather. (I used the Polygonal Lasso Tool with a feather of '2 px'.) [Note: I select the 'damage' rather than a 'good' area in order to get the basic shape of the damaged area to be covered.]

4. Once the damaged area has been outlined with the selection/masking tool, I MOVE the selection MASK to a 'good' area of the picture that has the 'look' that I want the damaged area to have.

5. Once I've positioned the selection mask in the area with good information, I duplicate that area by putting the cursor within the selection marquee (marching ants), simultaneously depressing and holding down the Ctrl-Alt (on a PC) keys, and clicking and holding the cursor within the marquee. Then I drag the copied area over the damaged area I want to repair, and release the left mouse/pointer button. Now I have a damaged portion of the picture covered with a good piece taken from another area of the picture (usually close by) with the marquee around the copied segment.

6. With the copied segment roughly positioned over the damage, I hide the marquee (Ctrl-h), and then fine tune the placement of the 'good' segment over the damage using the arrow keys. As you slightly move the copied segment around, you'll find where it "disappears" best. Once you like where it is, turn the marquee back on (Ctrl-h again), then apply the change using Ctrl-d.

Keep doing this until the majority of each crack in the area you are concentrating in is repaired. Then switch to using the Clone Stamp tool to fix the small areas of damage left -- for example, where a crack goes across where the man's shoulder ends and the background begins.

For this example, I did a very quick repair of the picture's overall color, of the man, and of the background on the right side of the picture as we look at it. You can do a better job by taking more time, and working on a higher resolution version of the picture.

I hope you found some tips you can use.

Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry_Myrtle_Wedding.jpg (18.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Henry_Myrtle_Wedding_repair.jpg (88.1 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 07:01 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the advice. Larry, I will have a go on the weekend when I have time to play around a bit.

I really love what you did, Mepaulus.

I have just received a reply from the person who sent me the digital image. She said "The photo of Myrtle and Henry was sort of glued on to a tin frame and must have been coated with something and I think it’s the coating that has cracked." She is going to take some photos of it with her digital camera.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 07:19 PM

By the way, the date of the wedding of the couple was 22 April 1922.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 PM

i had a go at this. i like this type of pic.

lighten. push. fade correction. clarify. curves. more push and airbrush. usm @ 1/100/5. and maybe a couple other little steps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry_Myrtle_Wedding-1-k-1h-rp.jpg (170.6 KB, 72 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 10:54 PM

I just sort of liked the original color and texture so I just cloned.

Butch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girl.jpg (85.7 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 PM

Thought I'd give it a go, didn't spend as much time as it really needs.
Airbrushed over background on a new layer, noise, blur.
Lots of cloning on working layer
High pass sharpening layer.
Adj/variations/ad cyan
Hue/Sat lighten yellow
contrast, levels.
Tried to keep the vintage look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Henry_Myrtle_Wedding2.jpg (28.6 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration