RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old Photo - not having great success

Old 04-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Patron

Re: Old Photo - not having great success

Well what seemed to help the most was is what others have done.
• convert to CYMK
• Select the Cyan Channel and convert to B&W
• I used Neat Image to further remove the silver stains
Attached Images
File Type: jpg School.jpg (192.3 KB, 118 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2009, 08:25 AM

You did a bit more work on it than that Phil!

Well done!

I don't have "Neat Image" in PSPPX2 but it seems to be a killer tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Silver polish works too - I always scan first, and as you said, the silvering will destroy the image anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Schweizer,
Welcome to RetouchPro !
That is a very interesting image. It looks like they were performing a skit - great shot.

I do see what looks like a lot of silvering in the image. I don't see the blue tint, at least nothing too damaging. There are numerous methods to deal with silvering. Unfortunately, it is never removed 100% in Photoshop or PSP. But, it can be reduced substantially. There is another means outside of PS or PSP, depending on how important the original is. In this case it may not be something you would want to attempt yet. But, for less critical images or for images that need archival immediately, you can reduce the silvering by applying less reflective & relatively inert substances to the surface of the image. My favorite is Vasoline applied with a Q-tip. Other acceptable products are waxes, generally a paste wax. The less color in the wax the better. This is usually done knowing that the silvering will eventually destroy the entire image and the scan is necessary for long term archival.

Regarding the dust, if it is not from the internals of your scanner, then it could be from scanning at too high a resolution. Resolutions of 300-600 dpi are generally quite acceptable and can be upsampled with good results in PS or PSP. Higher than that generally results in unacceptable levels of dust which must then be removed in software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2009, 11:03 PM

I've given it a bit of an attempt to repair the thumb tack holes in the corners. I didn't spend a great deal of time on it, but you'll get the idea.

Hello, by the way. I'm new - signed up today. I'm not a professional photograph editor, but I've had some practice in CS2/3.

Anyways, if this thread is even active still - here's the results. I edited the pre-silver removal photo.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...econstruct.jpg

ps: I didn't see that Phil had already done the corners, well done there.

Last edited by PK_KC; 04-21-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM

To remove silvering copy the photo with a digital camera (ideally with a polarizing filter on the camera - and even better also on the lights - but even with no pol. filters it will be better than the scan) - if you are not set up with the digital camera to get the detail in the copy, merge the digital camera image with the scanned photo and just mask out the silvering since the shadows won't be as critical for detail
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Thanks all. I don't have a camera set-up, and although this one photo turned out OK, I still feel there must be a way to create a mask pulled from a split channel that can be used to "null out" or replace the silvered pixels with pixels from neighbors but I am just a hack and not sure where to start.

I really want to preserve the character of the original scan and by splitting the channel and using the cyan CMYK as a new starting point, seems to throw away much of the original chacater. I've run into this with subsequent photos and using the methods above, or spending a hour cloning, is making me grumpy.

Anyone have any bright ideas on using a split channel as a mask or as an adjustment layer in some way to deal with silvering?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 AM

Really - Yes, you need a camera for this - any camera with a lens that will focus close enough (even point and shoot) but, you don't need a 'camera set up' Move a table against a wall next to a window, lean the photo slightly against the wall, set your camera on a book so the lens is about at the height of the center of the photo. Position the photo / camera far enough down the wall that the window light is not reflecting off the silvering. Use the book the camera is sitting on as your tripod. No fancy lenses needed, just something that will focus close.

With out a real 'camera set up' you will also want to scan the image, pull the camera image in to the top layer of your scanned image, use free transform to match the camera image to the scanned image. Probably change the camera image layer to darken blend mode and mask to taste
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 12:18 PM

Just wanted to mention, if you will be doing a lot of restoration on old photos, Katrine Eismann has a wonderful book called PS Restoration and Retouching. At the time I bought the Second Edition, I used PSP but just got it to see how it's all done. It's a great book. I only wish she would publish more books! (she has video's on Lynda.com also and you'll hear her name from time to time from Scott Kelby and others also. I think when I got CS3, some videos' came with the program also and she had a few on that CD also. She's a great teacher.)

Last edited by dmrdm; 04-27-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks. I'll look for the book.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 AM

Arrow Re: Old Photo - not having great success

The color deconvolution plug-in result for the silvering removal can be further optimized (first of all by optimizing the parameters), by multiplying the resulting image with the original in Photoshop. I did this in the attached result to lose less detail (which is linked to JPEG compression of the original). Note that I had to compress the result at Q=25 only.
The mentioned link for the color deconvolution plug-in is outdated, it can be obtained through 4N6site.com. You can also find more examples of the things you can do with color deconvolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweizer View Post
Wow. Awesome results. I love the various methods used. Very interesting. That said, I made a comparison chip to use for evaluation. What is interesting is that the original still has the best detail, so I need to somehow not lose that (mask). The silvering was greatly improved, with the plug-in doing the cleanest job of it but there is still a hint of it but the results were less distorted than the others. The "dusty" issue was cleaned up by all three, and the gradient method smoothed out the floodlighting. The noiseware pro did a good job on the noise but some face detail was also lost. Not a perfect world!

Any other observations? Thanks everyone for their efforts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silvered-group.jpg (98.2 KB, 29 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration