RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old Photo - not having great success

Old 04-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Old Photo - not having great success

Hi,

First post. I've been improving my skills on restoring old photos using PSPPX2, but I routinely come across ones that end up with a blue tint in them from scanning plus have what apprears to be a pesky embedded dust layer.

I've done most of the usual things to separate to B/W, clarify, levels, curves, yada yada, but the blue tint and dust issues have yet to be suitably resolved short of airbrushing. There is a bit of finger oil that is causing the scanner to blue-tint the image btw - I can see it when I look at it against a light source.

I also tried the 2-image 180-degree scan differencing trick explained in one of the tuts here that worked to some degree but not completely satisfactorly.

I don't need the image back but thought some here might have some different approaches to solve these 2 problems at a minimum, and explain what they did.

Thanks!
pic: http://i42.tinypic.com/2e2dowy.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Re: Old Photo - not having great success

Welcome to RetouchPro, Schweizer. I ran this plugin on the pic to remove the blue tint and a little curves, nothing else, though. Hope it helps
http://home.planet.nl/~ber03728/4N6s...ugin/getit.htm hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nobluetint.jpg (193.2 KB, 241 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2009, 05:30 PM

I tried this:
Black and White (cyans -50, blues -100)
Levels
Reduce Noise with a mask for the faces and some other light parts (strength 3, preserve details 50%, sharpen details 25%)
Gaussian Blur with the same mask (0,8 pixels)
Unsharp Mask (amount 175, radius 1,8, threshold 3)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old photo schweizer.jpg (99.5 KB, 146 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Schweizer,
Welcome to RetouchPro !
That is a very interesting image. It looks like they were performing a skit - great shot.

I do see what looks like a lot of silvering in the image. I don't see the blue tint, at least nothing too damaging. There are numerous methods to deal with silvering. Unfortunately, it is never removed 100% in Photoshop or PSP. But, it can be reduced substantially. There is another means outside of PS or PSP, depending on how important the original is. In this case it may not be something you would want to attempt yet. But, for less critical images or for images that need archival immediately, you can reduce the silvering by applying less reflective & relatively inert substances to the surface of the image. My favorite is Vasoline applied with a Q-tip. Other acceptable products are waxes, generally a paste wax. The less color in the wax the better. This is usually done knowing that the silvering will eventually destroy the entire image and the scan is necessary for long term archival.

Regarding the dust, if it is not from the internals of your scanner, then it could be from scanning at too high a resolution. Resolutions of 300-600 dpi are generally quite acceptable and can be upsampled with good results in PS or PSP. Higher than that generally results in unacceptable levels of dust which must then be removed in software.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2009, 09:53 PM

Welcome to RetouchPro:
I switched to cmyk mode selected the cyan channel copied and pasted to new layer. I then selected the left side of the photo attachment 2 created 2 new layers blending mode soft light. On the first layer I used the gradient tool (foreground to transparent) black as the foreground color, from left to right to darken the selected area. On the second layer using gradient tool (same settings) from right to left to darken that side of the selection. Then ran noiseware pro to reduce noise. Hope this gives you some help in your work. I did no other corrections to the photo. this took about 15 minutes to get the selection somewhat correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldphoto.jpg (97.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg selection.jpg (98.8 KB, 127 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 01:19 AM

Wow. Awesome results. I love the various methods used. Very interesting. That said, I made a comparison chip to use for evaluation. What is interesting is that the original still has the best detail, so I need to somehow not lose that (mask). The silvering was greatly improved, with the plug-in doing the cleanest job of it but there is still a hint of it but the results were less distorted than the others. The "dusty" issue was cleaned up by all three, and the gradient method smoothed out the floodlighting. The noiseware pro did a good job on the noise but some face detail was also lost. Not a perfect world!

Any other observations? Thanks everyone for their efforts!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RESULTS.jpg (51.2 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by Schweizer; 04-13-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 AM

OK, here is what I ended up doing. Looking at the various results above I decided to see how well I could do without throwing any pixel algorithms at the thing (noise increase/decrease) as all of them seemed to negatively impact the details, especially in the faces.

The method that worked best was to take the cmyk version, duplicate-multiply, which by itself wiped-out the silvering problem (yea!), then I simply added 3 adjustment layers - brightness/contrast, levels, and curves. I'm pretty happy with the results, as it gives me a good starting point to work from to fix the other problems. Notice the original detail was retained. Now comes clean-up.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2z82qv7.jpg

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 05:32 AM

Hello. I tried something. Hope you like it
http://i41.tinypic.com/2llzvyq.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Schweizer,
I think your last result looks very good. The contrast is excellent with plenty of fine grain left in those areas that had silvering.
Good work !
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks Tom. Always learning and trying new ideas. This was an interesting exercise.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration