RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Colorize project

Old 04-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Re: Colorize project

Looks great Nan! I forgot the program you use. was it adobe?
Your skin tone looks very real. Mine keeps getting a green tinge. I wonder if because I like to use the glamour and skin smoother. or maybe my screen needs calabration...lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Thanks Kate. I use PSP X. My colors can look okay to me as I'm working on them but they don't always print out right. I continually have problems in that area.
Your's doesn't really look greenish to me.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM

ok, so thats what I use what color legacy? maybe I use it just dont know the terms. I unfortunately do that. Fix things and have no idea of how I got to that point. I have to back track an try to remember what I did. For me its like cooking, if I have to stop and think about telling someone how I did it I dont do it right...lol
Maybe I do need a calibration. or maybe my eyes are tired. who knows...lol. If you don't see green, then I'm going to trust that
I have printing issues also, I have read just about everything I get my hands on with printing. I try different paper, settings, and what is on my screen does not come out on print. If anyone is reading this feel welcome to elaborate!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 PM

kate,

i wasnt aware i was supposed to do one, but here it is

this was done mostly using the technique i mentioned... blank layer over the original image and then airbrushing first, THEN turning on the color blend mode to see how things work. if all is well, then i take that airbrush layer and guassian blur it a little, anywhere from a setting of 2 to maybe 32 or so. just depends.

one thing that seems to help on this is getting your colors to match up with the original colors of the image, despite the fact that you dont know the original colors. for instance, on this image, i tried to give the girl a bit of auburn hair. i'm not sure that's her original color and i had more trouble with the hair than i did the skin tones... which is mostly unusual for me.

at any rate, once you do the guassian, then go around with an eraser set on very light opacity (maybe around 5 to 10 or so) and erase the bits that fall outside where they're supposed to because of the gaussian.

as a final treatment, i added a small bit of brightening and contrasting and a mimimum of 'clarify', to a setting of 1.

as for legacy color blend or regular color blend, just use whichever looks best. i've had it where one or the other works best.

ok, time to go. gotta watch american idol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JenniferBW%20%208x10-1-k-1e-rp.jpg (178.9 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 08:11 PM

HA good job Craig. only thing I would change is the tiny background area. didnt like the purple thing... but otherwise I am learning a bunch here! as usual!

**american idol - had to go there myself, still routing for gokey and lambert!**
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM

learninglady nicely done glad you figured out how to use the gradient.
nan nicely done.
craig you did a wonderful job also
You guys are getting to good for me I will need to be asking you questions very shortly. except I use photoshop so a translation over to it would have to be done. I did two more adjustments to this picture i added another gradient map in soft light to the skin and one also in softlight to the hair, I also removed that little corner of the background i put in there. For some reason i couldnt get the file to size down to less than 100.9k so it wont load. here is a link to my flickr sight with the picture there.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39473188@N00/3485082892/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2009, 09:17 PM

Great! I love the eyes. And you all have the hair down perfect! I cheat and use the smoother to hide any imperfections.
Cant ask me to translate as I dont have the terminology down what so ever, Im a doohicky thingy person, not that Im proud of that just real.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM

I perfer to use in photoshop the gradient map. it maps the gradient to the tone of the black and white image. where as a gradient just makes a gradient of colors the way you you have the gradient set up. I find it very hard to get the correct shades from a gradient.
In that photo i used gradients maps. Not exactly sure i explained that very well. Its similar to making a black and white photo using the color channels. You adjust the red yellow and blue channels to get the tones you like to make a good black and white image. Where a gradient is similar to just desaturating a color photo. no tone adjustments.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 PM

wonderful job. her eyes look like marbles!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-01-2009, 01:19 AM

I used Ed's method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JenniferBW 8x10_chill5.jpg (143.7 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by chillin; 05-24-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration