Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Colorize project

Old 05-15-2009, 01:12 PM

Re: Colorize project

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaJoa View Post
Hello,

if I understand this correctly you chose the A channel, do an Apply Image on it, then select the B channel and do a second Apply Image on it, right?
Yup, that is correct.

Quote:
So if a colorization is to strong in one channel you just overwrite it again with a lesser opacity to correct a cast, e.g. an orange skin. Right?

Regards,
Joa
I would Undo a blend that was too strong and blend again or use the Fade command.

I also found that it's better to do many slight blends rather than try to hit the color I want in one shot.

Good luck,

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2009, 01:37 PM

good coloring....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimatrix001 View Post
Learninglady
I am not sure if you saw this tutorial but it is a very good one on colorizing. I uses a different method to add color to the image.
http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161015

I use this method for all my colourizing, it takes a lot to get use to but if you stick with it you'll get there, it took me 2 years to get this far and I am happy so far.

helen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAMILY SMALLER.jpg (91.4 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learninlady View Post
Ok, I tried and tried. needed something else. I did a search and found this step by step so much simpler. I do better with narratives and visuals.
http://www.michelespaintshop.com/psp...ustrations.php

although I now know better what I'm doing after completing, I wanted to display the original that I did with this tutorial.
I can see the mistakes and will more than likely go thru it all again, I have now for the first time used layers! whoo hoo!

Whew, this is a long one, so get comfortable!
I like the way michelespaintshop give detailed explaination for colourizing but her choice of colour appear more green and give a finish of copper colour skin, faces have many colours on them, perhaps if you compare the colouring with a real colour photo you will see the vast different anyway I had a quick go with her tutorial photo using the worth100 primary colour to show you example, the primary colours only use 3 layers, just a little tips study the tutorial and get use to photoshop and it's tools that's what i did and find it more easier to follow tutorials.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3314/...43aff552_o.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 02:35 AM

I use sort of a mix of the methods described here. Michael(the other one)'s alpha channel creation technique is similar to the one I use, but for the coloring I still use gradient maps in good old RGB.

Unimatrix, I think you are one of the few others who uses gradient maps, and I'm happy about that. When I first mentioned them here a few years ago, a lot of people didn't even know what they were. I however take a slighly different take on building them. I make all of mine from actual color data from real people's photos. They are easy to make, but somewhere I have a file that has a fairly large collection of skin tones that I've already made. I'll see if I can find it and post it here. I rebuilt my computer recently, so its a matter of finding the right backup disk.

The other tip I have, and one you'll need to know if you use my gradient file, is that I oversaturate the color about 30%. It makes it much easier to see the edges when you're fine-tuning your mask, then I just back it off. This also serves to give some room to adjust saturation to match the lighting of the image.

Here is a quickie of this one. The masks are a bit sloppy, so please ignore that.

Cheers,
Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jennifer.jpg (79.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by MBChamberlain; 05-24-2009 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Wrong color profile on photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio2263 View Post
I use this method for all my colourizing, it takes a lot to get use to but if you stick with it you'll get there, it took me 2 years to get this far and I am happy so far.

helen
Im sure it is, I tried several times and I have no clue as where to fine the tools etc of what they ask for. I get so far and then I have no idea of what is being asked of me.
Either I am not getting enough information or complicating it.
The tut I use didnt come out looking very good because I was more involved with following the steps than getting the colors exact. It was simple to follow but I wish there were a readers digest version as ive not tried it since due to the time it takes to get thru it. I guess I will have to give it another try. thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 AM

MB I actually started using them by accident, I was coloring a pic for a friend and after i made the masks i went to the gradient map by accident and i liked the color blends it gave me, I have been using it ever since.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM

I found them in a similar way, I was working on a particularly troublesome piece and had all ready gone through every type of color adjustment layer I could think of. Then I had a sort of "Duh" moment: since brightness affects hue and saturation, why not use brightness to automatically blend a whole bunch of colors into a realistic skin tone? So naturally gradient map was suddenly the obvious answer.

Cheers,
Michael.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by learninlady View Post
Im sure it is, I tried several times and I have no clue as where to fine the tools etc of what they ask for. I get so far and then I have no idea of what is being asked of me.
Either I am not getting enough information or complicating it.
The tut I use didnt come out looking very good because I was more involved with following the steps than getting the colors exact. It was simple to follow but I wish there were a readers digest version as ive not tried it since due to the time it takes to get thru it. I guess I will have to give it another try. thanks.

I agree with you there I too was engross with following the tutorial than getting anything right but I sussed out if I learn more about photoshop itself then I would find it more easy to follow most tutorials which I embark and it took me a whole year learning photoshop though I would say i've only touch the tip of the iceberg when it come to photoshop but undertanding it's tools allow me to follow tutorials easier. Check out my gallery below to see sample of my colourizing using the worth1000 primary colours tut.

http://www.pbase.com/mstmart/stmart

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Oh my Helen! those are wonderful. Ok, Im outta here, gotta give it another try.

A in encouragement Too!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration