RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Scan or Photo ??

Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 AM

Re: Scan or Photo ??

i tend to agree with mike, with one qualifier, price. once you buy the body and lenses on dslr of any worth, you're starting to work in the thousands of dollars. when you're talking scanners, if i remember correctly, for $700 and quite a bit less, you can get a pretty damn nice scanner. and the dslr's, any more, are all starting at the HD range of graphics, so that's a lot of quality, plus you get to light it how you want it, not a scanner company and that can make a difference.

another option, going along with mike's is, the new line of near-slr's are also coming in the HD range and these are a LOT less expensive than the dslr's. so, that could be an option for some instead of a scanner.

myself, i like the ease of a usb scanner and a dedicated slide and negative scanner. i've not seen a normal desktop scanner that i would want to use for negatives and slides, so i keep the dedicated handy. so, that makes mike's suggestion a little less pricey compared to having two scanners.

the other nice thing with scanners is the simple ease of use. there's no focusing, no lighting considerations to worry about, and no other camera gadetry to fuss with in lining up a shot and for most images, a scanner's resolution and quality is fine, but bear in mind i'm using mine mostly for restoration and not high-end retouching and that makes a difference also.

so, bottom line is, what are you going to scan and why and how much do you want to invest in it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 PM

My boss asked me to scan large map and join them. But my problem is that the scanned map is not fit each other when join them because of the bad angle or somewhat else. How can I fix the problem?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 11:56 PM

My boss asked me to scan large map and join them. But my problem is that the scanned map is not fit each other when join them because of the bad angle or somewhat else. How can I fix the problem?[/
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 02:22 AM

indra, probably get a better response if you post this question as it's own thread.
you will likely have to resize one of the pieces (assuming two total) so it is in the same proportion as the other. after that use difference mode in photoshop to line the two halves up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indra View Post
My boss asked me to scan large map and join them. But my problem is that the scanned map is not fit each other when join them because of the bad angle or somewhat else. How can I fix the problem?[/
Take a photo of it with a good high resolution camera. If you do not have one of your own, find a photographer that will do the job for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 PM

I agree. For large items like that, either photograph them, or take them to a professional shop with a drum scanner.

And Indra, always start your own thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 AM

Large Map Joining

I would like to say "Thank you" those who suggest me. But I have still confused that If the map is photographed in spite of the scanning. What about the scale of map? Can it be fixed?

And also I am new user. How can I make may own thread?
Indra
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 PM

indra,
The scale will be controlled later, when you resize the image and determine how you will print it. You must know how long/far a certain "dimension" is on the map. Then you must know how large you will actually print the map. The ratio of: that dimension in real life, to the printed length/distance, represents the scale. How you capture the image does not matter, as long as the two halfs are matched exactly and combined.

Starting a new thread is easy, from the main page of any forum. See image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewThread copy.jpg (180.7 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 03:06 AM

Thanks Tommyo for your kind suggestion.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration