RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Smile Newbie

I've started a small, in-home, sideline in photo restoration.

I'm 55 and hoping to make enough to supplement my income so I might retire at 62 vice 67.

Is this a feasible idea? I see a large range of fees, from simple touch-ups in the $30 range to rather large amounts for involved restorations.

I'm still learning my way around PS and Picture Window and have been working with b&w from the 1940s (some in excellent condition, some not so much).

Comments/ideas solicited. I don't know what I don't know.

Tim T.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 03:10 AM

Re: Newbie

Hi Tapiot,

if you will sink or swim depends on so many factors. You certainly have a realistic timeframe though.

My advice is that you learn PS as much as you can to begin with. If you really like it and still think you can make a living out of it, start your own company. Do this slowly, I have a company of my own here in Sweden and it's much to learn before you can focus on your main business. When you have come to this point, try to get clients and jobs without quiting your day job.

If all is well, you'll know what to do after this.

/Peter
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM

Tim,
To get up to speed quickly, one must be either very talented artistically or technically. Usually, the artistic ones win, merely because they can make the tools do what they want without much trouble, and get a broader range of results from each tool... all of this just comes more naturally.

But, it appears you have lots of time. 5-6 years is plenty of time to get up to speed and then make a more educated decision if it will work for you. You will either like it or hate it at that point in time. You can also decide which type of work you prefer, retouch, restoration, etc. It may still take a number of years to gain certain proficiencies.

My advise, don't put all your eggs in one basket. An old saying which is very true when it comes to professional endeavors.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2009, 02:27 AM

Smile Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapiot View Post
I've started a small, in-home, sideline in photo restoration.

I'm 55 and hoping to make enough to supplement my income so I might retire at 62 vice 67.

Is this a feasible idea? I see a large range of fees, from simple touch-ups in the $30 range to rather large amounts for involved restorations.

I'm still learning my way around PS and Picture Window and have been working with b&w from the 1940s (some in excellent condition, some not so much).

Comments/ideas solicited. I don't know what I don't know.

Tim T.
One thing I would say also regardless how good you are with photo restoration people will only pay what they can afford, if your work is excellent and your price is exorbitant you won't have a business, if your work is excellent and the price is right then you will succeed most people like a bargain so it's all depend on your financial situation and what you want to charge, charge per photo and quality not per hours you work.

hope this helps

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2009, 12:31 PM

With regard to 'how to' there are a few books that I've found very useful indeed - Creative digital darkroom; masking and compositing; restoration and retouching; all by Katrin Eismann, and all targeted at users of PS. Stuffed full excellent tips - (shortcut key's that may seem obvious but can you find them), worked examples from dedicated web sites; really well worth the cash.

Kind regards,
Chriscb.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration