RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

identifying the problem

Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Patron

Re: identifying the problem

Niteowl, your best quality upload is only 1.4" X 2" at 300 ppi. That is a very small amount of data and you should not expect the final product to look very good at any size larger than 1.4 x 2". If the original photo really was that small, the scan should have been at a much higher resolution.
Convert to grayscale (B&W) such as Phil has done. However, if you want to get rid of the noise and enlarge the image, I would still apply a noise filter.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 10:36 PM

Smile Re: identifying the problem

Phil,

Thank you so much. I really appreciate the information and work you did. I realize the darker colors had a smaller amount of noise and grainyness to it but I must have developed "snow blindness" having looked at it for so long. Huge difference. The shirt and face look so much better. I can finally finish this one off and share it with family

I really like the control over the smoothness the filter gives you. The one I tried, coupled with my lack of knowledge with it, seemed like using a hammer to swat a fly-just so heavy handed in the smoothness and noise removal that it did more harm than good.

I did go to neat image home page and they have several versions to download. As someone with experience with it, can you recommend which would be the best for my purposes? At home retouching of old family photos.

I'm going to hunt around for tutorials here, to improve on my curves and channel mixing learning. Thanks again, your a peach!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Niteowl, your best quality upload is only 1.4" X 2" at 300 ppi. That is a very small amount of data and you should not expect the final product to look very good at any size larger than 1.4 x 2". If the original photo really was that small, the scan should have been at a much higher resolution.
Convert to grayscale (B&W) such as Phil has done. However, if you want to get rid of the noise and enlarge the image, I would still apply a noise filter.
Regards, Murray

Thanks for the help and information. You and the others confirmed what I suspected was the problem but wasn't really sure. Must be luck of the draw that my starting old photos, until this one, didn't have anywhere near the amount of noise and distortion and were fixable without having to use a noise filter.

I look forward to poking around the forum to glean pearls of wisdom ( and other tools) from all here. You guys are great
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 PM

this took about 10 or 15 minutes.

duplicate image.

paint shop pro's digital camera noise removal at a fairly aggressive rate with a slight amount of sharpening.

push to remove minor artifacts resulting from noise removal.

done.

nice photo

and welcome to RP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1902-restored-1-k-1rp.jpg (190.7 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
this took about 10 or 15 minutes.

duplicate image.

paint shop pro's digital camera noise removal at a fairly aggressive rate with a slight amount of sharpening.

push to remove minor artifacts resulting from noise removal.

done.

nice photo

and welcome to RP

Thanks Kraellin, glad I found the forum. I'm not on PSP but Photoshop CS2. just plain noise removal on this version and way to bulky for me. I'm guessing the filter Phil mentioned would be the equivelant of PSP digital noise removal? I look forward to using noise removal on other photos that have less noise than this but still have noise. Nice to find out I don't have to live with the noise and can get a better restore
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 AM
Patron

niteowl64 I believe they have neat image in a demo configuration to try out. As you probably know by now there are several applications out there that do about the same thing. Neat image works fine for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
just plain noise removal on this version and way to bulky for me.
i dont quite understand what you mean by 'bulky' here. you mean it does too general a job and leaves things a bit blurry or what? and if so, then simply mask the areas you dont want affected by the noise removal.

and yes, neat image is similar to psp's noise removal. i just find psp's easier to use. but a LOT of folks use neat image and there is a free version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
i dont quite understand what you mean by 'bulky' here. you mean it does too general a job and leaves things a bit blurry or what? and if so, then simply mask the areas you dont want affected by the noise removal.

and yes, neat image is similar to psp's noise removal. i just find psp's easier to use. but a LOT of folks use neat image and there is a free version.
It seemed to heavy handed in the amount of blur and smoothing, not so much unwanted areas blurring. I was losing way to much detail and the degree of smoothing was too strong, even when I upped the sharpening level. Of course, I need to learn more about the fine tuning of the filter and how best to use it, but the forum has pointed me in the right direction
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 09:13 PM

ah, ok.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach View Post
niteowl64 I believe they have neat image in a demo configuration to try out. As you probably know by now there are several applications out there that do about the same thing. Neat image works fine for me.
I've been using Nik Define, but haven't seen many comments on how people like it. I run the filter, adjusting as needed, then I will often reduce the layer opacity until the skin seems about right. Does anyone else out there use Define, and do you like it?
Becky
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration