RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

identifying the problem

Old 06-04-2009, 02:27 AM

identifying the problem

Hi all, learned restoration from books starting 2 years ago and I am looking for some information about a potential fix. The photo is an old family one, which was an incredible mess. You name the problem and it had it. I am 90% there and am stuck. I've brought all of the photo back except for the face and shirt, uploading the problem part here. I have searched for a solution but other than blurring to try and hide the damage, I can't find anything. before i use that solution of last resort, I want to make sure i am not missing something

I honestly am having difficulty identifying what the problem is, and therefore the solution (if it exists). Working from a scan and I don't have the original. What is that crud on the face and shirt and is it fixable versus trying to hide it? noise? mold? fading cracks? Can it be repaired?

I'm very proud of the work i've done and am oh-so-close to the finish line! Any suggestions/advice of what it is and how/if I can fix it so I can finish and share with family, would be greatly appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1902-restored.jpg (98.4 KB, 185 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 AM

Re: identifying the problem

Can't say from that 536x800 pixel, niteowl. You'll have to post a link to the full size scan for us to be able to see more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Patron

Niteowl, it is difficult to tell from the low res image you uploaded but indications are high frequency noise and some color noise. This could have resulted from a poor quality scanner or it could be representative of the original image. One light dose of Noiseware (a noise filter) seems to have smoothed it out without excessive blurring. It would be better if we could see a higher res image.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1902-restored MM.jpg (170.8 KB, 95 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 08:13 AM

These "Noise" filters, all lead to a very artificial and facile look. You will probably find that your answer is painstaking work with the clone stamp, and high zoom level. Maybe using "Lighten". Sounds painful but when you get good at it, you can polish this kind of thing off in an hour or so.

I think you did a good job so far. I think the very high key almost blown areas can be brought down A LITTLE using either a curve or shadow highlight - this will allow you to see the problem more clearly and produce a better overall tonality.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 08:48 AM
Patron

I noticed that the blue channel had by far the most artifacts. So maybe at a very early part of the retouch you could select the red channel using the Channel Mixer adjustment layer and take it from there.

I copied the background layer and added a layer mask on that layer and used Neat Image helped out the facial blotches and results are similar to Murray's.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 PM

Thank you for taking the time to look at the retouch. I've got to search around for a site to upload the high res. scan. I'm new to doing that part of it and had hoped the thumbnail would show a bit better than it did
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 10:10 PM

Thank you Murray for the tips. I'll search out the answer to posting a higher res. somewhere to give a better close up of the problem. The original scan was done on an at home computer, at 300 dpi and no other options checked off. I had replaced the entire background as the original had pinhead sized brown spots all over it. I don't think the blotchiness is from the scan-or at least a majority of it isn't. The original was pretty bad.

I had recently tried a trial version of Akvis noisebuster and the smooth option was much more than I wanted, even at the lowest setting. I'll wprk on getting a better photo posted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the help Mark and phil, I could use all the advice I can get. I've basically gotten as far as I have with Photoshop restoration book or searching online for an answer. I still have a ways to go though. I freely admit, curves are a major weakness. It irritates me to no end that no matter how many times I read the info on curves and attempt it, it's just not clicking and it would so improve the tones. What I need is "curves for dummies".

I'm hoping i can upload a higher res. fairly quickly. Thanks again. I'm so glad I found someone to give some suggestions and advice. Glad to have found this forum!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 02:49 AM

Ok found a better place to than my last link for the photo, so i deleted that post. I was able to upload to windows live in the original size I had it and original format of .tif. This one is much better than the jpg

http://cid-1bc42168434aede2.skydrive...dpa%201902.tif
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Patron

Well I did use the channel mixer with Red and a little green mixed and Neat Image to decrease the spots and finally Curves to increase the contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Father.jpg (193.0 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration