RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Color Adjustments

Old 06-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Re: Color Adjustments

Wow, Senet! Yours is probably the closest to how I imagined the color "should" be. Of course, newbie that I am, my idea of "should" might be slightly different from a professional opinion. XD

I'm going to remember that trick. Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I tried a PS plugin developed by Kodak for restoring colors which have shifted in slides and prints.
murray, what plugin would that be and where can i get it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 04:48 PM

Well, I worked on the photo, keeping in mind some of what y'all said, and I think it's a big improvement! I think it still might be a little bit blue, I dunno.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nell_2_Final.jpg (72.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Patron

Hi Craig, The plugin (also available as stand alone app) is called Digital ROC by Kodak and is available at kodak.com. If you have ever had to scan 20 year old Kodalor negatives or old Kodachrome / Ektachrome slides, they have certain characteristic color schemes that they fade or shift to. Kodak developed a few good algorithms to correct them. When they work they seem to work very well. Like all tools they work great on some images and not for others. But I find it a useful tool for certain types of work.

Em, Actually I find the final one a bit to red. If you switch your eyedropper tool to LAB mode you will see that the ratio of the A to B Channels (17/10)is higher than what skin color would likely be for that child. I opened the image in Adobe Camera RAW and went to the HSL Panel and just moved the Red slider (at the top) from 0 to +35. This shifted the Red a slight amount toward orange and brought the A and B channels closer together while at the same time lowering the red and raising the yellow a tiny amount. This subtley toned down the red in the face and hair. If you overlay the two images the difference is very subtle. In the end it is probably more a matter of taste because your final result looks very pleasing.

Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nell_2_Final MM2.jpg (176.6 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 PM

Okay, I REALLY had to look to see the difference, but I see what you're saying now.

I've been doing this all of 28 days, so I don't really understand how you accomplished that. Can I do the same thing using a color balance adjustment layer?

I don't know how to tell what the ratio of channels should be. I'm just going by eye. :/ Is this process you're talking about something you learn by experience, or something you can read up on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Patron

Em, am I correct to assume that you use some version of Photoshop for editing?
For portrait work in particular I always have one or more color samplers in the Info Palette set to displayLAB color values. You do not need to be working in LAB color in order to display the color values in LAB. In fact you can display bith RGB and LAB values at the same time becuase there are 2 sets of numbers displayed as you move the eyedropper tool around.
I find LAB numbers are much more intuitive than RGB. The L channel represents the Lightness (or brightness) of an image. You can take a quick glance at the numbers, even if your monitor is poorly calibrated, and you can tell instantly a lot about your image. The L or Lightness (Brightness) channel gives you a quick indication if your image is properly exposed or not. There is a limited range where the exposure of faces looks great, beyond which they are too dark or too light. A glance at the A and B channels tell you if the area is Red vs Green (A channel) or Blue vs Yellow (B channel). You also learn very quickly that there is a range of values and ratios between the A and B channels for pink vs orange vs brown skin etc. The Lightness (L)and color values (A&B) are independent of each other so you can make very quick reliable adjustments to the color without affecting the Lightness of the image.
Looking at the numbers as a sanity check always works because they never lie.
To set your sampler(s) to LAB mode, select one of the two number displays in the info palette by right clicking on the triangle beside the eyedropper icon and from the context menu, select LAB color.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot2.jpg (172.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot1.jpg (107.7 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Thanks for explaining this Murray! I tried to look it up in the only book I currently own, and the only reference I could find was an explanation that LAB used three channels, Lightness, a, and b. It mostly explains color in terms of RGB. :/

Can you recommend a website or book where I could read up on this more? Saying that there's a limited range is good and all, but since I don't know what that "limited range" is, I'm back to depending on my eyes. XD
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Patron

The recognized bible on LAB color is a book by Dan Margulis and it is called "Photoshop LAB Color: The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
To adjust the color I used common method like shown here...
A 133 grey point? Is that simply to increase saturation in his ink jet prints? I've mucked about with the level and tone of my grey point in the past, and simply acquiesced to 128.

For the rest of the thread, as far as auto balancing goes, I use: http://www.pixelgenius.com/color2/index.html

It's usually close on the first guess, and allows significant flexibility to bring those skin tones close to home.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Patron

Southbay, no, when all R,G,B values are equal then you have no saturation at all. The White, Black, and Gray points are set somewhat arbitrarily. Just as Dave uses 10 and 245 for black and white (instead of 1 and 255), he and many others choose to define the mid gray point as 133 instead of 128. There is not a big difference.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration