RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

restoring old photo color spots problem

Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 AM

restoring old photo color spots problem

Hello this is my first post. I tried to put it in a different forum but this site is getting the best of me, I could not find a place in the techniques area to chose post new thread.
Anyway my question is I have several old photographs that have spot on them. They are colored, usually one color where the ink is coming off or bleeding through. I don't know how to fix this. I thought of just taking that color out of the picture some and that does help but then the overall pictures does not look good.
Thanks Martina
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (25.9 KB, 255 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Patron

Re: restoring old photo color spots problem

Drummergrl, welcome to Retouch Pro. Your image does not expand when we click on the thumbnail. That may be due to you posting i into the Salon Forum. You would be better off posting it in the Image Help or Retouching Forum on this site. The thumbnail is so small that we can not really see the problem areas of your image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Patron

drummergrl, Welcome to RetouchPRO! Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

Above each page is a bar with numerous buttons... click 'Site Nav' > 'Forums' ... click the Forum of your interest.... There is a button on the left top of each "Forum" that reads 'New Thread' click it to start your new thread...

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads?(Click here)

You can post a fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image on your own site or elsewhere and attach a link, but also please attach an under 100K version here (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Alternative Image Hosts if you do not have your own site are: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO) or mediafire.com (100 Meg per file) ... then post a link here in the thread to the site that is hosting your larger image.

Or you can become a "Patron" (limit 200K along with other benefits)!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 PM

i've moved this to the restoration forum where it shld get proper attention.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Martina,
Your question is not entirely clear. So, you may want to rephrase it.

Anyway, there are several ideas to think about.
1. Before attempting cloning, try to fix all the global color problems in the image first using levels or curves. This brings the "good" areas back to "very good", so that when you do use them a source in cloning, the fixed area looks exceptional.
2. Learn to use masks. Masks allow you to limit the area in which a color adjustment takes place. The masks are very easy to edit, they are basically gray-scale representations of the image. Darker areas block underlying edits, lighter areas allow the underlying edits to shine through.
3. You can always search RetouchPro for the best recommendations for books on restoration. Just click the "Search" menu at the top of the web page. Enter in something like "books restoration". Probably the most recommended series is from Katrin Eismann. You can also Google her name and find her books.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 AM

Thank you for your help I am going to post the picture again. I think it is still hard to see what I am talking about but the red "spots" are across the top, above the hair and across the face just above the eye brows. If nothing else if I new what this is called I could look up more info about it.
I am using photoshop elements 7, I am not sure if it has masking capabilities. If so I have no idea how to access it or use it.
I have a few more questions but I will put it in a new post.
Thanks
Martina
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973.jpg (98.4 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 11:29 AM

Hi drummergrl,

I dug out my old copy of Elements 4, and quickly did a couple of selections and just played around with some hue/sat shifts. You'll certainly have the tools you need to do a much better job, in version 7.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973.jpg (93.6 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Patron

Have no idea about Elements I used PS7
levels
replaced the blue channel
a little cloning
sharpened some
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1973_RP.jpg (189.8 KB, 62 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM

I thought this might be an option. This is the green channel only. Some Curves, Contrast and USM...

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (157.4 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Southbay, thank you that is kind of about what my finished product has looked like. Not bad but I was hoping for better. Maybe with my program that is the best I will get.
OlBaldy, That looks incredible, it looks like it would have taken a lot of time!! What did you replace the blue channel with? One of my biggest struggles was fixing the spots on the girls face, trying to keep the details and color.
Juergren D I also like what you did because the spots are gone but so is the color. It does look nice though and maybe a good option if I want a clean looking picture regardless of wether it has color or not.
I am still learning!!
Thank you all for your time and giving me ideas.
Martina
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration