RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Silvering on Old Photos

Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Unhappy Silvering on Old Photos

Can anyone please help me on how remove/lessen the effects of silvering on old Photos.

I had great information on how to do it a couple of year ago, but of course can no longer find it. I have tried the tip on Silvering in this site, but it made no difference.

I have seen tips on photographing it with an SLR camera with Polarising lens etc, but this isn't an option for me.

Thanks

Ellemir
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Patron

Re: Silvering on Old Photos

It would help if you'd post an image you're having trouble with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Sorry Lurch, I was having trouble with the resizing of the picture yesterday. However after doing more searching on the site I can across another couple of suggestions - one I think by yourself and one by roger-ele. Rather than waste anybody's time I'll try those suggestions, and if I don't have any luck will come back and post the picture.

Thanks
Ellemir
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 05:56 PM

Cool Re: Silvering on Old Photos

Hello again, decided that I would post the photo, and keep working on it as well. I have tried making masks etc, but really haven't achieved anything useful. I think that my brain is on go slow (as so often happens when I strike something I find tricky!)

I would appreciate any suggestions on how I can lessen the silvering. I am using CS3

Thanks Ellemir
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Youths-Drinking.jpg (99.8 KB, 145 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 PM

I've used this fast and dirty trick before with some success. In CS3 Image/adjustments/Black and white/-75 cyan (or thereabouts). Then "tint" in the same B&W dialogue, to get back to your approximate sepia tone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Youths-Drinking.jpg (98.6 KB, 84 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Smile Re: Silvering on Old Photos

Thanks Southbay, I'll try your suggestion. At present I don't have to try and tint it back to a similar tint as my client wants B&W - although of course that can always change!

Regards
Ellemir
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Patron

Channel Mixer, Red and Green Plus 50, Blue minus 50. Mono checked

Then some levels, curves, cleanup
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Youths-Drinking_RedGreen.jpg (145.6 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Patron

ellemir, I tried out the method outlined in http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...tml#post212276, post #2 on your image. It worked quite nicely. On an higher-resolution photo it should do even better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Youths-Drinking.jpg (191.4 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Patron

Thanks for the reminder Lurch! I had forgotten all about that post... must be gettin OLD! That method made the picture look GREAT!! Good Job!

I copied and filed the method this time...... now to remember where when I need it again....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 PM

this is a very interesting image. if you look closely at where the silvering is, you'll notice that it has completely removed the original image data in quite a few spots. and, if you look closely at lurch's, OB's and southbay's work on this image, you'll notice they didnt replace any of the missing data. they simply smoothed it out or made it black. this is perfectly acceptable in an image like. most folks would be pleased with the results.

however, if you're one of those truly picky individuals who stays awake at night wondering oddball things that noone else would ever care about, then you're going to want to rebuild this missing data. and that can take a while. my standard tools for that are airbrush, clone and smudge and there's little i can do to walk you through it. you work on blank layers, one on top of the other, sometimes also using blend modes on those same layers. basically, this is painting. so, if you're not real good with painting, you probably dont want to go this route.

if you look real close again, you'll notice that on several of the legs of the gents that you just have a black blob that extends into the background. you have to make some sort of distinction between the legs and the background, a dark line or a light. figure out where things are and what's missing and then rebuild. clone is also a good tool for this, since you can easily borrow from similar areas in your rebuild.

if you're working for a client, i'd present them with both options, the quicker restore way or the longer rebuild, then simply go for what they want and can afford.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration