Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Weird Stain

Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 AM

Re: Weird Stain

Good work on that one Susie.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 08:57 AM

She definitely has teeth showing in her smile.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 AM

Craig - thanks again regarding the dress. I have a lot of family photos from that time era and found a dress similar to what she was wearing, cut, pasted, warped to fit, then added a very minimal amount of texture and painted shading on a separate level, merged, duped and adjusted the blending mode.

Regarding the mouth, I'm happy with either way and quite frankly, I don't know if she (my aunt) would even remember whether it was an open or closed smile.

I'll try your suggestions for the blotchiness and the eyes and get back with the update.

OB - Brightening it up seems to really help. The only problem is that this is only 1/2 of a total portrait of her and Uncle Johnny. When I've played with the lighting to make her look better (or him) the other person doesn't match. Playing with separate brightness/contrast masking layers this is pretty much the best saturation for the overall photo.

Cupcake - Thank you!

Aartist - Thank you for your viewpoint. As I said, I'm happy with either way and when this is finished, I'll print both versions for her and she can decide; I don't know if she can remember whether she smiled openly or closed mouth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 08:27 PM

susie, well, you did a nice job

ok, let's end the controversy here over teeth or no teeth i told you all i was sure of 'no teeth' and here is why, see attached. this was done with paint shop pro's 'fade correction' tool. i purposely exaggerated this to show the lips better. i duplicate the background and then run fade correction on that. i then set that layer to 'luminance'. this all gives a pretty good contrast and shld show up whether 'teeth' or 'no teeth'. you decide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unc1-psp-fade-correct-2-k-1rp.jpg (155.1 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 08:45 PM

Craig - YES! I did something similar when I first began the photo with levels etc... plus, the lady in the photo is my Aunt and she always seemed to have had a fuller lower lip, that's another reason why my 1st instinct was closed mouth.

I haven't been back with the finished version - rebuilding my website and am almost finished, hopefully the new version will be up this weekend. Then I can breathe and get back to finishing this photo.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and I will be back with my final, final version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 09:05 PM

susie, thank you for the comment on the fuller lower lip. that part had been bugging me. since the lips are in the stained area, it's very easy to mis-read what's there, or rather, what was there. so, that comment helps. i still consider a lot of that as shadow, since this whole picture is shadowed pretty heavily, but the lower lip was definitely bugging me
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration