RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Weird Stain

Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM

Weird Stain

A relative sent me a photo of her parents back in the 40's, asking if I could "fix" it up. The overall photo had some silvering and other junk, but the part that has been troubling me was the area where it's stained. It almost looks like it was torn, but, she sent me the original, and there was no tear, just this darkening.

I did the best that I could with it, using adjustment layers (shadow/highlight and brightness contrast), mostly to address the other parts of the photo. Pretty much from there, despite trying the channel mixer and other things, the only thing that seemed to "work" was simple cloning, patching, healing.

I'm not happy with my results (imported her eyes from an old photo I had of her), but my brain is still stuck on the weird stain portion and wondering, is there a simple way to fix this? (My before & after are posted below).

Thanks,
Sue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unc1.jpg (96.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg unc2.jpg (46.1 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Patron

Re: Weird Stain

Can you scan it in color with all the auto stuff and other adjustments turned off?

It looks like she has a nice smile with teeth showing... did you close her mouth? That may one reason be why it looks different and you are not happy with it..
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Believe it or not, I did scan it in RGB with all the other adjustments turned off and then I sent the original back to my cousin, so I can't re-scan and don't think it would do any good. I agree about the mouth, sometimes when I look at the scanned original, it looks like you can see her teeth but when I look at it too much, I begin to think that it's shading.
It might just be the closed mouth thing that I'm not happy with... I'll work on that and get back here.
Thanks OB.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 PM

Using different layers and opacities, I outlined the dark areas of her mouth on one layer, and on another layer, lightened the lighter areas so that I might get more definition. I worked with the highlight layer for the open mouth smile and the dark layer to better define the actual shape of her mouth.

This is where I'm at now. Probably won't do any more today, have a neck ache.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unc2b.jpg (39.8 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Patron

Me thinks thats looking really GOOD Susie!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks OB, although I really thought it could be better, just didn't know what to address. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2009, 10:09 PM

susie,

tone down the teeth just a bit. they're standing out too much now. also, try running a light unsharp mask on the whole thing... very light. it's currently out of focus. love what you did on the dress. you really brought that out!

and having looked at this closely in paint shop pro, the mouth is closed. though, i must say, you did a remarkable job on doing it as mouth open
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 07:26 AM

Craig,

Thank you for your comments. I agree, that it looks out of focus , tried different things to clear it up but don't think I tried the unsharp mask, and the teeth are too bright, I'll change those and get back here.

I was also very relieved that you saw the mouth 'closed' as that was my 1st instinct.

Went back & closed her mouth, ran a smart sharpen over it all, independently blurred some blotchy areas on forehead, tried to clarify her eyes. I think I'm finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unc2c.jpg (49.4 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by lcramer53; 07-28-2009 at 04:58 PM. Reason: updated
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 AM

it's a tricky image. i fiddled with it a bit.

i'm looking at yours and i again, like the dress. the face is a little patchy. that can be smoothed out with smudge/push. also, you might airbrush the whites of her eyes in. use the color picker to get the right color for that and use an opacity of only 3 or 4 or so. keep it light. it's very easy to overdo and do it on a blank layer over the top of the others. nice job on the mouth.

oh, and nice job on removing the stain!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Patron

I also like the dress you found..

I know the mouth is open but I used your previous try to work with because you got rid of the stain so well and I could not replicate your work

I just tried to define things a bit and found that lightening it some seemed to help also

It is a bit blown out and still needs some eye work... but I thought I would offer an alternative look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unc2b_Ol.jpg (44.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration