Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

What to do?

Old 07-26-2009, 09:54 AM
What to do?

I've recently started scanning and restoring old family photos. I came across this one of my grandparents and just don't know where to start. It's obviously got water damage and a lot of detail missing. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AJ and Abbie Partridge_3.jpg (55.3 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Re: What to do?

Welcome to Retouch Pro!
My approach would be to convert the image to Grayscale (B&W), then to duplicate the layer a couple of times with each duplicate set to Multiply Blend mode to restore some density. THen a curve adjustment layer to fine tune the tone and brighten where required.
To repair the rest of the damage will just need some patching, cloning, importing any detail you have from other old photos, and possibly a little creative artwork.
Good luck with the restoration.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2009, 11:07 PM

robtd1ntx, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

A good scan from the start at a high resolution, always in color, will help in your restorations:
Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering

This tutorial may help some also..:
Professional Photograph Restoration Workflow

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here:
Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (as you did here) so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links.
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: (3Meg max, free) (2Meg max, free) (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Remember to attach an under 100K version in the thread so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links.
You can also use these Free sites: (; (;(; ( to send your original to your own email address, then open that email message, copy the link, and post that link in the thread.

All this will probably apply to your other thread "Old picture of Mom" also

All these instructions should work fine using GIMP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 08:48 PM

robtd1ntx, welcome to RP.

i'm going to give you your first step here. this was done in paint shop pro using the 'fade correction' tool at 100%. duplicate the background (never work directly on the original). then simply apply the fade correction tool to the duplicated layer. that's it. that's the first step, finding the image.

next, i'd probably start cloning all those missing parts back in and do a general cleanup with clone, airbrush and push (heavy smudge).

then, i'd probably do a noise removal filter followed by push for a final cleaning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AJ-andAbbie-Partridge_3-1-k-1rp.jpg (191.4 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration