RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

CottonThreads

Old 07-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Patron

CottonThreads

I was just wondering if there is an easy way to remove these cottony artifacts on this photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toughie.jpg (177.6 KB, 196 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 PM

Re: CottonThreads

Phil,
That is a tough one. I certainly don't see an easy method. Although, in CMYK there are some striking differences in some of the channels, maybe enough to at least split the task among a few areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Patron

I would try the Color Deconvolution Plug-in.. BUT.. I don't have it on my puter any more.. it is on the one with the fried motherboard..

Does anyone think it would work with this picture?

Color Deconvolution Plug-in
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2009, 09:09 PM

phil, do you have the original photo and if so, is this really cottony threads on the photo, or is it something actually deteriorated within the emulsion? if it's just something stuck to the photo, there's a good chance it could be removed and might save you some digital work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 06:12 AM
Patron

Hi Craig; I wish I did have the original but thats not the case. I am working on the photo and in essence am painting it. I should have it finished by Christmas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 PM

I cleaned it up a tiny bit. I split it CYMK and threw out the black. and touched up a few things. I have no idea of what Im doing so maybe someone more knowledgeable can take my play here.
It looks like Im on the right track, but dont know much about this type of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LLtoughie2.jpg (97.8 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Patron

Re: CottonThreads a mess

Kate this was hard and none of the usual photoshop techniques worked for me. In essence I selected the lady and had to paint her using numerous layers. I replaced the background and the foreground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dun!.jpg (193.9 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 PM

this is an interesting image because it's both very messed up yet retains enough detail to make out nearly everything needed for a full restore. i can even make out the pupils. that being said, it's not an easy one! by far! i did only the face of the woman on the left and then only the nose, eyes, cheeks, mouth and chin. i roughed in the forehead and very roughly roughed in the hair... sort of. so, this is far from done. but, i wanted to show what can be done with a bit of care and effort. this is my standard work with clone, push, airbrush, eraser and one other tool i often use for restoration, group layers.

group layers allow one to put certain layers together and act as one. in this case it was all my work done on blank layers with airbrush, clone, push and eraser. you then have a sort of master layer over all of these that groups them. and the trick then, is to lower the opacity on the master layer to see how accurate you are to the original work. you can even do a bit of work on the sub-layers of the group with the master layer opacity lowered, but be careful with that, as it's very easy to overdo things like that. this trick is very good for checking small details like eyes and larger detail like shading.

i'm posting the work i've done so far. i probably will not be finishing this. i just wanted to show this and talk about group layers a bit.

i like what you did, phil, but doing all paint tends to not be as accurate as i'd like. thus, my method. it's terribly tedious, but it does a good job for the most part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toughie-1-k-1l-rp.jpg (191.5 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 05:51 AM
Patron

A great start Craig and using group layers is a fine method to use. I did use that technique also, but I forgot in what context. Usually I will do what Katrin Eisman suggested which is to copy the base layer and use screen blending mode and blur like Gaussian at 50% and then copy that layer and use multiply blending mode and then convert those layers to a group. Then add a group Mask to the whole group and take it from there.

You are off to a very nice start on the retouch and it was tedious as you can suspect.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM

thanks, phil, but i wont be doing any more on this one, except maybe to see if i can improve on what i've already done.

i looked at yours again, phil and i think i was a bit unfair in my comments before. you did a very nice job
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration