RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Is it too far gone?

Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 AM

Is it too far gone?

Hello everyone. Name here is Ed and as you might guess I'm new to the site/forum and also new to PS.
PS is truly an amazing program and a little daunting for a new user. However I am having a ball trying to learn to use it. I purchased the book "photoshop Restoration & Retouching" and am slowly learning a little.
I have gone through all my personal pictures and scanned some of the worst for practice. I fixed some of the better ones fairly easy but some are a real challenge!

I have this picture of my Wife's Great-grandmother that is the only one in existence. It is in such bad shape from the ravages of time and improper storage, I don't know if it can be fixed.
I have worked on it for about a week, throwing it away and starting over many times.

Problem is, I don't know if I am trying something impossible. There is just so much information missing from the picture.

Could someone look at it and tell me if I am setting my goals too high by trying to rebuild this picture?

Sarah McRae1 attached
Thanks,
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarah-McRae1.jpg (98.9 KB, 167 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 01:06 PM

Smile Re: Is it too far gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpittssr View Post
Hello everyone. Name here is Ed and as you might guess I'm new to the site/forum and also new to PS.
PS is truly an amazing program and a little daunting for a new user. However I am having a ball trying to learn to use it. I purchased the book "photoshop Restoration & Retouching" and am slowly learning a little.
I have gone through all my personal pictures and scanned some of the worst for practice. I fixed some of the better ones fairly easy but some are a real challenge!

I have this picture of my Wife's Great-grandmother that is the only one in existence. It is in such bad shape from the ravages of time and improper storage, I don't know if it can be fixed.
I have worked on it for about a week, throwing it away and starting over many times.

Problem is, I don't know if I am trying something impossible. There is just so much information missing from the picture.

Could someone look at it and tell me if I am setting my goals too high by trying to rebuild this picture?

Sarah McRae1 attached
Thanks,
Ed
Hi Ed,

You've put your photo in the best forum, the guys here are very professional they'll advice you on what to do with your photo nothing is impossible I haven't visited for a while because of other comittment but I found keeping away from here I have gone very rusty with my photo restorations, I shall try and visit more often.

hope this helps
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 02:14 PM

Re: Is it too far gone?

No, it is worth saving and restoring to a quality where you can display on your wall. I did a quick restore start to right side of face. Just like pick-up-sticks when using scratch removal. Also fade reduce is helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarah-McRae2.jpg (90.8 KB, 163 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Ed,
Welcome to RetouchPro !

This image is certainly salvageable. And, I believe you can eventually get it very close to the original. Don't expect it to look like a modern day photograph though. Images of that era just don't look clean and crisp; they have more of a paper texture.

I would plan on replacing the background and the jacket/shawl. So, focus your attention on the head, neck, collar and blouse. These can easily be repaired with the adjacent "good" pixels.

Also, just an FYI, it may not be a photograph at all. I have some of our GGGrandparents that were done completely in pencil. They look very similar to yours. They look incredible for pencil, but lack some detail.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
No, it is worth saving and restoring to a quality where you can display on your wall. I did a quick restore start to right side of face. Just like pick-up-sticks when using scratch removal. Also fade reduce is helpful.
What you did is amazing. That kind of restore example is what got me hooked into this.

I had tried healing brush, clone, paint and everything else with not very good results.

I will try to learn the scratch removal and fade reduce techniques.

Thanks so much.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Ed,
Welcome to RetouchPro !

This image is certainly salvageable. And, I believe you can eventually get it very close to the original. Don't expect it to look like a modern day photograph though. Images of that era just don't look clean and crisp; they have more of a paper texture.

I would plan on replacing the background and the jacket/shawl. So, focus your attention on the head, neck, collar and blouse. These can easily be repaired with the adjacent "good" pixels.

Also, just an FYI, it may not be a photograph at all. I have some of our GGGrandparents that were done completely in pencil. They look very similar to yours. They look incredible for pencil, but lack some detail.

Yes I think it must be a pencil. it looks almost like a pastel.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 03:47 PM

Pencil or Photo, it is a very important part of your family history that deserves to be preserved for future generations. A graphic like this looks great on the wall too, while it's waiting to be passed down to the next generation! Good luck with your project!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 05:54 PM

I have been playing with it a little more but not doing well.
I ordered 2 more books to try and learn a little more.
Do you know where I can find information on the scratch removal and fade reduce that you used?

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-30-2009, 07:28 PM

Those functions are found on Paint Shop Pro.
Easier and more intuitive to use. My opinion.

Last edited by aartist; 07-30-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanks, maybe I should look into buying PSP.

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration