RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

faded color photo

Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Patron

Re: faded color photo

Thank you. Lab can be very helpful in some cases.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but when I scan, I activate the "colour restoration" function in my Epson scanning program and it usually surprises me by the amount of colour restoration it does. I use this with slides and prints with amazing results. Quite often no other restoration of colour is needed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 AM
Patron

Hi Douglas, and welcome to retouch pro. Many times the automatic features of your scanning program do do a nice job. But often on badly discolored photos that is not enough. So then its probably best to turn off the automatic adjustments feature in the scanning program, scan in 48 bit color and work on the photo in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I used Lab plus I colorized some of the background.
but what does lab plus mean and is it a plugin for ps or a standalone

This is all i can find

Quote:
Tucked away in the top right corner of the colour picker in Photoshop are some radio buttons marked L, a, and b. These belong to a colour mode known as Lab and are often the last stopping place for a Photoshop user on their journey to expert status. However when used correctly (and often sparingly) Lab can provide some spectacular results for the power user. If you want to know more, read on.

What is Lab In an RGB Photoshop image you will find four channels, the Composite RGB, a Red, a Green and a Blue. Between them they define the actual colour and density of a pixel and they are inter-related. A neutral pixel will have RGB values that are all equal for example 121R 121G 121B is a mid tone 18% grey (in a system with a gamma of 2.2). If you try to remove a red cast using the Red curve by moving the curve you also change the tone density. You are continually forced to consider whether to correct the red by removing red or adding blue and green. Both will correct the colour cast but one will make the tone lighter, the other move will make the tone darker.

This is the key difference with Lab - the colour and tone density are divorced from each other and can be independently adjusted without any cross-over effects. The channels in Lab are the L-Channel, the lightness or Luminosity a-channel the greenness to redness (-128 is green +128 is red)* b-channel the yellowness to blueness (-128 is blue +128 is yellow)

*The green is actually close to an aqua and the red is closer to a magenta. When the Lab colour was defined (also known as L*A*B* or L*a*b* or CEI Lab) they chose the colour pairs on the grounds that we do not perceive any "greenyreds" or "yellowy-blues" - they are essentially opponent colours.

Practical Importance The practical importance of Lab is that colour and detail are not linked. A colour with aand b values of zero is always neutral, regardless of how light or dark it is. Therefore if you have an image that has neutral colour balance you can steepen the L-channel and add sparkle to the result by increasing the contrast OR you can steepen both the aand b channels whilst keeping their curves passing through the mid points without affecting the colour balance but increasing their saturation.

In the example landscape shown, the image is very slightly blue but overall the early morning light has not produced much colour saturation. Increasing the contrast was not appropriate as it would have veiled the highlights and clogged the shadows- the Lightness channel was therefore left untouched. More sparkle was however provide by steepening both the a and b channels by rotating the curves around the centre point of the curves graph. Note in the composite screen grab how flat looking the channels are and that the Lightness channel is a moderately good monochrome image containing all the tone density and details.

LAB

LEFT: The magenta-green and yellow-blue opponent colours show on the axes of the
Lab £D colour space, the lightness rises on
the vertical plane. The shape of a gamut is
shon on the right. Only those colours which lie
within this shape can be accurately printed by the
device, other colours will be
adjusted.

if u have more share it
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2009, 02:49 PM

i think this can be done in just one click with plugin called color magician i will post my result soon as right now i have to leave
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2009, 02:59 PM

feel free for any questions u have as i keep things simple when working

one click result just took few secs to get this result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faded.jpg (78.1 KB, 23 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach View Post
Hi Douglas, and welcome to retouch pro. Many times the automatic features of your scanning program do do a nice job. But often on badly discolored photos that is not enough. So then its probably best to turn off the automatic adjustments feature in the scanning program, scan in 48 bit color and work on the photo in photoshop.
Thanks for the welcome. I really enjoy learning and reading the various ways people have of doing things. Much more advanced in PS than I am at the moment. Each day I try to learn a bit more.

Douglas
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 AM

I am trying out the Kodak ROC so it still has the water marks. What do you think? I have a large amount of faded photos that need restoration. Are there other programs that members of the forum recommend?
chaim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faded1.jpg (83.3 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 AM

Thumbs up Re: faded color photo

Mistermonday, so nice job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 AM

Did anyone here ever use color washer?
chaim
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration