RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

More Water Damage

Old 09-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Re: More Water Damage

I gave it a quick shot adjusting some of the damnage to the individual channels, then replacing some color and tone. It's quick but decent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Philip.jpg (44.0 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2009, 04:12 PM

Wanted to practice with the healing brush. Never could get it to work the way I wanted. Have been practicing and trying to get it right. So I did another restore of this picture. Its far from perfect but better then it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillip3(8)5.jpg (98.7 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by unimatrix001; 09-06-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 AM

this image presented some interesting challenges. there was rebuilding in spots, facial coloring, uniform coloring and so on. there was also some lost detail in the uniform. so, this one took me a while.

the first thing i'll mention is that i did this over several sessions and i did this on purpose. it gets very easy, especially in longer, more difficult images and especially with faces, that one goes sort of blind when working on the same thing. it's best to step away and look at it again with 'fresh' eyes.

the rest of this was pretty much my standard fare, clone, airbrush, push, eraser and some color correction using color balance and some lighting corrections with brightness/contrast.

one other thing of note that i've gotten very used to doing in these is, once i have a lot of layers going and i'm very near the end of the job, i close off all layers except the original and the last one that's on top. i then turn down the opacity of the top layer so that i can see the original coming through. i then put a blank layer over all this and start making corrections to fix my rendition up closer to the original, just without all the mars and dust and tears and so on. this allows me to check over my work by comparing it to the original to make sure i'm 'coloring within the lines' so to speak. it's very easy, especially in rebuilding, to get quite far away from the original, so this action keeps me on track. and there's really no reason you cant do this at any stage of a restoration if that will help make a better restoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillip3%288%29-psp-1-k-1y-rp.jpg (178.5 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks all for taking the time to fix this, you guys are great!

Bad
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM

Wonderful job Craig!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM

Beautiful Craig. Very sharp and the colors all look right. That was a lot of damage for it to be restored this nicely.
Nan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-09-2009, 11:59 PM

Bad, you're welcome. however, i would like to see you attempt this yourself. we do these because we like to help and because we like to show off a bit and because we like to practice, but, this is a peer to peer site, so we encourage those who post to also take a shot at the work. it's the old 'teach a man to fish' thing

thanks, cupcake and nan always nice to get compliments from others who do the work so well
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 AM

Great job Kraellin! I have not tackled this one but I would want to try to preserve the texture of the blazer and hat. Both are of thick cloth with matt, slightly textured look. Once this is lost the image looks airbrushed. Whilst I am happy to accept that this could be your style, In my opinion the original texture of the cloth would add realism back in to the restoration and look less airbrushed and more restored. (preservation of this detail of course would have been easier with a higher resolution image)

Last edited by Nezbitten; 09-10-2009 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 PM

Re: Water-damaged photo - tips and techniques plea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad View Post
Here is one that I am trying to fix.
I love working on soldiers. Most of my restorations for OPR were soldiers and I couldn't resist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillip3(8)adj.jpg (99.6 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 AM

thanks, nezbitten.

the texture is easily handled by adding a little noise through a selection. i did this to both the hat and the uniform now. even though i wore one of those uniforms once, i couldnt remember how much grain to add back, so i just picked an arbitrary value to show the thing. i also did the hat and uniform at different values to show one way and another. there are other ways this could be done, too, but these seem to work pretty well.

by the way, for those wondering about colors, this is a dress uniform of the american infantryman (army). there were dress blues and dress greens. i believe this one is dress blues. it's a little difficult to tell in the original, but that's the way i went with it. i certainly wouldnt fault anyone, given the original condition of the image if they wanted to treat this as dress greens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phillip3%288%29-psp-1-k-1z1-rp.jpg (189.8 KB, 67 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration