RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Help and evaluation

Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 PM

Exclamation Help and evaluation

Hi everyone, I know I've been away for a while, but have been following RP as often as I can.
A friend of mine asked me to help her with a photo of her mother. She doesn't have the original and the person that has it lost it after doing a pretty poor scan of it. To make things worse, the picture was printed in cloth, not paper so it has faded in different places and has a peculiar texture.
This is what I received and what I have been able to do so far.
Please help.
Happy to be back
Mosha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abuela0.jpg (99.8 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg abuela1.jpg (99.3 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 03:29 PM

Re: Help and evaluation

Started with your edit. I suppose some sort of noise suppression to tone down the appearance of texture, is key. I used neat Image at 40. Color corrected to tone down the reds and yellows (still too yellow IMO). Curves to control the shadows a bit. Some burning around the eyes and hair. Nice shot, with lots of potential is you've got the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abuela-test.jpg (92.7 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Southbay, thanks for your time and advice. I'll follow your sugestions. I did try with noice reduction and Neat Image but couldn't come up with a result I was comfortable with. I was affraid to loose detail in order to get rid of the texture. I hope I can come up with something close to your results.
Mosha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 08:28 PM

Mosha,
Your resulting image is very good. And Southbay's addition is certainly worth thinking about, as it seems to be a very good compromise with original detail vs removal of the cloth texture. In fact, leaving a little cloth texture gives the appearance of film or paper grain, which looks fine. I cannot offer any more suggestions other than picking areas to do some very fine d&b, as if doing a glamour retouch. Then possibly finding some parts from female models and warping/blending them into position with a very very light opacity, just to fill in those gaps in the pixels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Mosha,
Your resulting image is very good. And Southbay's addition is certainly worth thinking about, as it seems to be a very good compromise with original detail vs removal of the cloth texture. In fact, leaving a little cloth texture gives the appearance of film or paper grain, which looks fine. I cannot offer any more suggestions other than picking areas to do some very fine d&b, as if doing a glamour retouch. Then possibly finding some parts from female models and warping/blending them into position with a very very light opacity, just to fill in those gaps in the pixels.
TommyO, thanks for your encouraging words. When you say - finding parts from female models - can you be a bit more specific as to which missing pixels you refer?...
Mosha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 09:13 PM

I hope somebody can chime in on this, there is a filter you can download caller TTK or TTD or something, it is a mathematial filter that turns the pic into what looks like a folded piece of paper with little stars....

it is excellent on getting rid of things like the scan lines and such.

there is a mention in it on a thread i started asking how to de-thatch images.......
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM

Thank you Jack , it is called FFT Fourier Transform. I've tried it and it doesn't work on the picture. Instead of rendering light spots which you should paint on, it renders thin uneven stripes which I painted on as instructed but doesn't change anything. I guess it has to do with the crosshatch pattern of the cloth.
I like the cloth texture. I am a volunteer in genealogy research and we usually beleive in restoring what ever object, documents, furniture and even photos as near as pssible to the original state without compromising it. Of course in photos is difficult to do a phisical restoration so we use digital. In this case, information, is the main goal. The owner is not going to print in cloth, but trying to comply with the originality issue, because of the texture, restoring becomes more difficult.
So any comments and suggestions are always welcome.
Mosha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack The Ripper View Post
...it is a mathematial filter that turns the pic into what looks like a folded piece of paper with little stars....
On a Mac, the FFT process I use is here: http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 08:32 AM

Philbach and all of you. Nice Work!!. I haven't thought of replacing the background, silly me. I was so caught up with the texture an detail that missed the obvious and simple aproaches.
Thanks again
Mosha
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Patron

I kept the dark tone, replaced the background, and used neat image to decrease some of the texture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cloth2.jpg (194.8 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration