Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

How to restore this image using PS CS4

Old 09-24-2009, 05:47 PM

Re: How to restore this image using PS CS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VHDEL View Post
I'm using an Epson V700. The slides are scanned at 4800dpi.
Hope you don't mind a comment, here. I scan slides on a regular basis and offer two resolutions: 2,400ppi and 4,000ppi.

2,400 translates into a high quality 8x12 at 300, and is the most popular choice among my clients. It gives you plenty of pixels to work with, takes less HD room and jumps through the photoshop hoops just a little bit quicker.

I used to scan slides with a 4990 and have experimented at the higher resolutions. Unless you're planning on the biggest prints possible, you'll find no visible difference when it comes to something like a DVD slide show.

It's even easier to make sharp, reduced-size Jpegs, from an original that isn't humongous. And I don't have to tell you how long it takes to scan at 4800 when using digital ICE. It's painful.

Bottom line...many will tell you to always scan at the highest rez possible. Me, I don't think it's necessary.

Last edited by Southbay; 09-24-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 09:37 PM

Thank you for your comments Southbay.

I agree that I could not see any difference between 3200ppi & 6400ppi.
4800ppi was choosen to give my father the option of allowing him to print large if needed.

As this is a once of project for our family,I do not want to be rescanning images later for larger prints.
If it were for a friend then I would scan lower.

Cheers

Del
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 PM

VHDEL,

I hear you. Go for it.

At this high rez, you might consider doing fewer slides at a time though, to avoid the sagging that comes from heat. With ICE, I think my flatbed took an hour to scan a rack of slides. It got pretty warm under there, and I'd notice uneven focus in single frames, particularly on neg strips. Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southbay View Post
VHDEL,

I hear you. Go for it.

At this high rez, you might consider doing fewer slides at a time though, to avoid the sagging that comes from heat. With ICE, I think my flatbed took an hour to scan a rack of slides. It got pretty warm under there, and I'd notice uneven focus in single frames, particularly on neg strips. Just sayin'...
Thank you for your advice.

The Epson V700 is a new purchase, I was unaware of the heat issue you mentioned.
It did take approx 90 minutes to scan a full rack of 12 slides.
One of the reasons why I got this scanner is so I could scan multiple slides whithout me being constantly at the PC swapping slide over.
Not to mention I also get better flat bed scanner to boot
I just needed to convince the wife justification for my purchase

Would their still be sagging issuses with the 35mm slides still in the plastic/cardboard frames?

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 PM

if you're scanning a lot of slides and negatives, i'd seriously consider getting a dedicated slide/negative scanner rather than the standard flatbed type that scans prints, paper and so on. if i remember correctly, you can find some that will batch scan. a google shld turn up some good results.

and you've done well on your posted picture. you've kept true to the original image and brought back a lot of detail. one note of advice here; it's not always necessary to bring a restoration back completely to a pristine photo. one can shoot for that, if you want, but remember what your client is actually going to be interested in, in this case, your dad. he's not really going to care if every pixel is perfect. he's going to be more interested in the people and perhaps the setting. unless he's a restorer himself (and thus a total nutcase on perfection like the rest of us ), he's really not likely to be super-critical. so, dont get too locked into thinking it all has to be perfect, every time, every photo, every pixel. you'll drive yourself crazy that way
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 PM

There's no "issue" with your scanner, it's just that with the lamp on that long, it gets a bit warm in there. Heat will make film curl/bend/sag. When I scanned a rack of negs on my 4990, they'd be in there so long that they'd often sag to make contact with the bed. As a result, I was getting problems with Newton's rings.

True, you could reasonably expect the impact on well-mounted slides to be less. But after such a long run, I'd double-check them.

I'm an Epson fan, and yours is a great unit with dynamic range that's outstanding for a flatbed. It really is the best of both worlds. Have fun with your project, and never stop experimenting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM

Thank you for the answer, it sure works better then mine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration