RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Life was not in black and white

Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 PM

Re: Life was not in black and white

Helen, I'm with you on color. The more the better!
Ansel Adam's work was great, but would have been greater in color.
I actually wrote an opinion paper in a photography class once in support of color.

The old black and whites were mostly out of necessity and/or economy. Art may have entered into it, but not to the degree some would think.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
I'm glad you are entitled to your own opinion. That's what makes the world a world of variety and interest.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 06:59 AM

I'm glad your glad.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up Re: Life was not in black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
Helen, I'm with you on color. The more the better!
I actually wrote an opinion paper in a photography class once in support of color.

The old black and whites were mostly out of necessity and/or economy. Art may have entered into it, but not to the degree some would think.
Thanks for your comment, I love vintage photos and I found them more beautiful in full colour because the colours that were used in that era I found extraordinary they chose their colours well whilst in the modern day the colour are dull and chosen without a thought, I respect everyone's opinion and I agree like yourself I love vintage in colour. I came across a vintage photographer and ask permission to colour some of his photos he loved it and he has taken my colourized version together with his original black and white to BBC Greenwich for exhibitions and various galleries, I’ve spent 2 years practicing colourizing black and white photos, it’s a great hobby that I am loving. I am still practicing colourizing just posting couple of my works for you to have a look. The second colourized photo is one of the Photographer’s photos.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3450/...f06b3995_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2432/...baac457b_o.jpg

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Craig, funny you should mention "great-great grandfather's picture" – remember I offered a challenge here to colorize a photo of my GGGF and I used it on the cover of my ezine (issue 12)? I love that retouch!

I've got a lot of old family photos and would like to see many of them "modernized", or rather, restored to the same colors that those people saw at the time. Which as mentioned are mainly the same colors we see today.

It's also worth considering how Hollywood uses muted colors to invoke an early-to-mid 20th century look, when in fact all they are doing is matching the faded look of old color prints or the inherent technology of the film at the time. The colors of reality should always be our baseline if we are striving for realism, even though it may look odd to our eyes to see old images in modern color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 10:18 PM

Helen, great work! Both photos are wonderful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 10:44 PM

hehe, seems i'm out-voted just teasing.

that's some nice work, helen.

ok, let me make my case this way. i took helen's piece and decolorized it. this was kind of interesting. i'm not trying to make it 'better' in your mind. just showing how i look at it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg decolorized-1-k-1rp.jpg (188.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
hehe, seems i'm out-voted just teasing.

that's some nice work, helen.

ok, let me make my case this way. i took helen's piece and decolorized it. this was kind of interesting. i'm not trying to make it 'better' in your mind. just showing how i look at it.
Thank you I take pride in colourizing my photos when I saw Vikki Hansen's colourized photos I said to myself if it is possible to achieve good results then so shall I and here I am and still practicing, I've took my colourizing in a different dimension I want to achieve as realistic result as I possibility can get.

You've done a great job greyscaling the colourized photo but I prefer the colourized version it brings it to life.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2599/...f1f58f02_o.jpg

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugsnpixels View Post
Craig, funny you should mention "great-great grandfather's picture" – remember I offered a challenge here to colorize a photo of my GGGF and I used it on the cover of my ezine (issue 12)? I love that retouch!

I've got a lot of old family photos and would like to see many of them "modernized", or rather, restored to the same colors that those people saw at the time. Which as mentioned are mainly the same colors we see today.

It's also worth considering how Hollywood uses muted colors to invoke an early-to-mid 20th century look, when in fact all they are doing is matching the faded look of old color prints or the inherent technology of the film at the time. The colors of reality should always be our baseline if we are striving for realism, even though it may look odd to our eyes to see old images in modern color.
That's my point exactly, I agree with you there also life was not in black and white, as mentioned before everyone to their own opinion and I for one will respect that. If you want some of your photos colourized please feel free to throw them on the forum wouldn't mind having a go.

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-02-2009, 07:42 AM

OlBaldy, thanks for posting the cartoon link. I just read it and thought it was hilarious. Especially when Hobbes said he takes naps and waits for dinner when the world gets too complicated!

Helen, if anyone prefers black and white, it's very easy to attain that with a color photo. For the most part, it's a choice between Dull and Exciting. Between Dim and Powerfully real. My choice is with you!!!

Craig, yes, some see colorizing as a lie and I know some people would never want it done to their photos. They want them left alone as they are, sometimes even with the rips and creases. Understandable to be sure. I've seen some god-awful colorizing jobs but Helen's are exquisite.

It's funny how people fall one way or the other, just like many things in life. I have a friend that thought it was terrible when the old black and white movies were colorized a couple decades back. They hated it. Yet, this friend has no problem with her personal photos being colorized, she actually "LOVES IT". I think it is because of what Helen speaks of, "It brings it to LIFE. By the way, those old movies were horribly done, but I still liked them anyway, so I must be a die hard color fan.

Last edited by aartist; 10-02-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration