RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Life was not in black and white

Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 AM

Smile Life was not in black and white

I know everone's to their own but it seems to amaze me when people dislike seening colourized photos what make them think life was black and white, those people saw the same blue sky we do, the same yellow sun and blue sea, and what about the old artist like Leonardo Da Vinci and many like him their paintings are in colour and they are very beautiful, imaging seeing their paintings in black and white would people then have an interest in them? I am glad they've brought colour in their paintings it's obvious the red apple they painted and the rosy cheeks complexion it's what they saw.

For me I love seeing black and white in colour because that's how life was, the reason a photographer took photo in black and white because that the only ink they had, I am sure if colour was around then they would surely have used it as we are now.

just giving my own opinion

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2009, 10:45 AM

Re: Life was not in black and white

Helen,
Today, it probably seems odd to many people to see b&w's colored/tinted, especially the younger generations since they have grown up with color photography, color everything. Everyone should remember that adding color to black and white images has been done since the beginnings of photography. In those days, only the wealthy could afford having their images hand colored/tinted. Of course, it quickly lost popularity once color photography was available; but hey, that was the whole reason inventors worked so hard to develop color photography. So, I think the majority of people do appreciate that you are taking the time to learn an older art so well.

Don't worry about any negative comments, as it always seems to take a long time to appreciate change. The internet also makes it easy for people to post only the negative; it fact, the ratio of positive /negative comments on the internet averages about 1/1000 for most any topic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Patron

B&W photos explained
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2009, 02:27 PM

Yes, life was not in black and white.

But it also was not two-dimensional .

Last edited by ExclamPt; 09-26-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 02:17 AM

Smile Re: Life was not in black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
Helen,
Today, it probably seems odd to many people to see b&w's colored/tinted, especially the younger generations since they have grown up with color photography, color everything. Everyone should remember that adding color to black and white images has been done since the beginnings of photography. In those days, only the wealthy could afford having their images hand colored/tinted. Of course, it quickly lost popularity once color photography was available; but hey, that was the whole reason inventors worked so hard to develop color photography. So, I think the majority of people do appreciate that you are taking the time to learn an older art so well.

Don't worry about any negative comments, as it always seems to take a long time to appreciate change. The internet also makes it easy for people to post only the negative; it fact, the ratio of positive /negative comments on the internet averages about 1/1000 for most any topic.
Thanks Tommy for your reply, I don't worry about negative comments it's just that people naivety when they see a black and white photo they believe life was black and white it amazes me, I so love colourizing the old black and white photos that's the reason I’ve spent many many many months to get the skin tones right to give them justice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 AM

Thumbs up Re: Life was not in black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Thanks ever so much for the link, i've enjoyed reading it.

cheers

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 02:21 AM

Thumbs up Re: Life was not in black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExclamPt View Post
Yes, life was not in black and white.

But it also was not two-dimensional .
Don't get you there I am afraid, what do you mean by two-dimensional? all I know everything was in colour once upon a time just like the present.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 11:38 PM

lol, OB. havent seen a calvin and hobbes in a long while

sergio,

in answer to your question, imagine that the mona lisa had been painted in black and whites only. would you now want to colorize it? and, would you colorize ansel adam's work? when i was shooting film cameras, i was always torn whether to shoot in color or black and white. some things just stand out better in black and white.

also, remember, colorizing is most often done on older images, at least from what i've seen, and some folks recognize colorizing as a lie, that is, an alteration of the original and find that distracting or even pretentious. it's a little silly, either way. but, i will also add that for most of my family's people pictures, i would not want to see them colorized. it just seems odd. yet, i do enjoy colorizing some of the pictures here on RP and i love some of the work done by others, Vicki, for instance. but, when it comes to say my great-great grandfather's picture, it would just seem wrong to colorize it. just a choice, i guess.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
lol, OB. havent seen a calvin and hobbes in a long while

sergio,

in answer to your question, imagine that the mona lisa had been painted in black and whites only. would you now want to colorize it? and, would you colorize ansel adam's work? when i was shooting film cameras, i was always torn whether to shoot in color or black and white. some things just stand out better in black and white.

also, remember, colorizing is most often done on older images, at least from what i've seen, and some folks recognize colorizing as a lie, that is, an alteration of the original and find that distracting or even pretentious. it's a little silly, either way. but, i will also add that for most of my family's people pictures, i would not want to see them colorized. it just seems odd. yet, i do enjoy colorizing some of the pictures here on RP and i love some of the work done by others, Vicki, for instance. but, when it comes to say my great-great grandfather's picture, it would just seem wrong to colorize it. just a choice, i guess.
It wasn't a question it was an opinion about people reaction, I feel some people with their opinion believe life was in black and white, Whilst I love colourizing black and white photos but I do agree some photos are better in black and white, I have a photo that look perfect in black and white that I wouldn't want to colourize but for me colourizing bring a photo to life and make us see what our ancestors saw the blue sky, sea and golden sunset.

Oh! No I would if it was my GG grandfather I would want to see the colour of his clothes, his hair, and the furniture etc, his complexion. Black and white is neither here nor there. Just my humble opinion mind whilst I respect others.

Helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2009, 10:59 PM

helen, thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration