RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old Photo: Silver Mirroring..help?

Old 10-11-2009, 02:31 AM

Re: Old Photo: Silver Mirroring..help?

Yeah, I should elaborate more. I've picked up a lot here, and sharing is de rigueur. So, as near as I can remember it...futz revealed.

This is roughly where I went with the B&W layer. The brown tone came from the Pixel Genius PhotoKit B&W toning set, at maybe 40% opacity. Neat Image at 30%. USM...I'm pretty sure was 185/5/4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture-3.jpg (99.0 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 AM

thanks, southbay
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM

Thumbs up Re: Old Photo: Silver Mirroring..help?

Thank you so much for your examples of editing results with these different approaches! I posted my last version on that album link, which suffers, I think, from the over-softening with the uniform, and I feel that I still lost too much texture and aspects of the original that I was trying to hold onto in my last iteration (emmett army-3.jpg).

http://picasaweb.google.com/Pendfami...uchingProjects

Thanks again, Donna
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Arrow Re: Old Photo: Silver Mirroring..help?

It is always nice to see one of my plug-ins being put to good use, nice one!
It was not the purpose I had in mind when I designed it, but I was amazed myself when I first applied color deconvolution to silvering problems in photo restoration. You really see details return that seemed completely gone to the naked eye (check out the details in his uniform).
Your link is outdated, but the plug-in is available through 4N6site.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Donna, I did the attached with one click using this plug in: http://home.planet.nl/~ber03728/4N6site/improc/decoplugin/main.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM

I work in a lab and had several 100 year old photos I needed to flatbed scan today, and one had really bad silvering. None of the techniques here worked, and I almost had a guy ready to set up the old copy-neg equipment.

Then I had an idea, and it worked: Lighter Fluid

I, of course, tested the fluid first on an old corner, and it was fine. Now, I've used lighter fluid on countless prints to clean off anything greasy or sticky, from labels to fingerprints. So the idea isn't crazy.

For this silvering, I squirted quite a bit on the glass of the flatbed, then dropped the photo into it, and scanned. No silvering. Someone in the lab told me they used to use a similar liquid technique for ancient negatives.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM

I am glad your scan worked out so well, but I am also worried about the antique photos...
Could I try color deconvolution on a previous scan that shows the bad silvering?
So far it has always worked very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Johnstone View Post
I work in a lab and had several 100 year old photos I needed to flatbed scan today, and one had really bad silvering. None of the techniques here worked, and I almost had a guy ready to set up the old copy-neg equipment.

Then I had an idea, and it worked: Lighter Fluid
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Sure, here's a small copy of the original scan to experiment on, along with my scanning of it coated with naptha (can see a few blob marks I didn't retouch). And it shouldn't worry you, we have bottles of the stuff throughout the lab, it's good stuff. Quite safe. But you know what is dangerous? Water. Seen it melt beat-up emulsion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silvering.jpg (97.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg silverafter.jpg (93.2 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by K. Johnstone; 07-26-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 AM

As I suspected, the color deconvolution plug-in can successfully restore the photo even in this pretty severe case of silvering. In the attached photo restoration result you can see the big improvement. There are some small artefacts due to the JPG compression, which gets rid of the subtle color informations that color deconvolution seeks to exploit. Keep in mind that every pixel in the image got the same treatment (no brushing, selection, or masks). Very quick and... quite safe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Johnstone View Post
Sure, here's a small copy of the original scan to experiment on, along with my scanning of it coated with naptha (can see a few blob marks I didn't retouch). And it shouldn't worry you, we have bottles of the stuff throughout the lab, it's good stuff. Quite safe. But you know what is dangerous? Water. Seen it melt beat-up emulsion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg color-deconvolution-silvered-ladies.jpg (77.6 KB, 36 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2012, 06:28 AM
Janitor

During the Photo Restoration RetouchPRO LIVE show I did with Wayne Palmer, Wayne shows a fast and effective method to eliminate silvering on many (but not all) images. As I recall it uses blending modes. Ctein took a different approach in his Tarnished Lady show (but it was significant enough to name the show after the problem).

Both shows are available for rental.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6site View Post
As I suspected, the color deconvolution plug-in can successfully restore the photo even in this pretty severe case of silvering.
Very quick and... quite safe!
I have a similar problem, with a group of 100+ year old photos. I haven't had much luck with capture alternatives to scanning (digital photos, using light at various angles, shooting the image at an angle, etc.) - I still get too much silver mirroring.

I just tried the Color Deconvolution Plug-in try-out version, but I must be doing something wrong, as all I seem to accomplish is to emphasize the mirroring in the photo. Or maybe I was having trouble due to the small size of the image I used with the sample.

I'd be interested in what you can do with it. I've attached a cropped copy of the raw scan.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan-120718-0007 cropped.jpg (78.2 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration