RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Old Photo: Silver Mirroring..help?

Old 07-28-2012, 03:32 PM

Arrow Re: Old Photo: Silver Mirroring..help?

Could you send me a message to the email on my website so I can get my hands on a scan without lossy compression? Then I'll give it a go myself. The way to go with color deconvolution of silvered photos is to use the darkest color as the background color, a brighter unaffected color as desired color, and the most silvered part as undesired color.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 04:56 PM

The image has a combination of silvering and a finely textured surface. That texture makes the silvering appear green in one pixel and purple in the next, which makes it much more difficult to remove with the color deconvolution plug-in than usually. I even had to apply a bit of noise filtering, but the result is at least an improvement without/before applying any manual retouching.
Tough case!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg desilvered-man-on-couch.jpg (88.0 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Re: Old Photo: Silver Mirroring..help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4N6site View Post
The image has a combination of silvering and a finely textured surface. That texture makes the silvering appear green in one pixel and purple in the next, which makes it much more difficult to remove with the color deconvolution plug-in than usually. I even had to apply a bit of noise filtering, but the result is at least an improvement without/before applying any manual retouching.
Tough case!
Thanks. Definitely an improvement. I'll pick up a copy of the plug-in; it should work better with some of my other (less problematic) photos. I'm also going to pick up some polarizer material to try cross-polarization lighting with the photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM

The one click solution Amica999 was refering to is the color deconvolution plug-in from 4N6site.com, perfect for the removal of stains, ink, discolorations and silvering!
(The link Amica999 mentioned is no longer valid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amica999 View Post
Donna, I did the attached with one click using this plug in: http://home.planet.nl/~ber03728/4N6s...lugin/main.htm
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration