RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Badly Scratched Old Wedding ~Photo

Old 11-23-2009, 10:23 PM

Re: Badly Scratched Old Wedding ~Photo

i had a go at this, hilda. tricky image.

there's no way i can tell you everything i did. this was done over a couple days, but i do know i started with things like 'fade correction', a little 'clarify', some 'shadows/midtones/highlights', a little brightness/contrast and anything else i could find to give some contrast and thus, hopefully bring out the image more.

after that, i tried something new. rather than start in cloning, i made a blank layer and started airbrushing at a very low opacity, around 2 or 3. i wasnt trying to remove blemishes or spots or scratches; i was only trying to define edges a bit more and add a little smoothing. i started with the background and also did some of the clothing. again, this was to help define things where some 'bleeding' had occurred (things running into each other as if they had bled). this actually helped me define the picture better. i even airbrushed in some shadows here and there (very mild).

after that, i was a bit perturbed with the blown out whites, so i painted some of those down a few tones. i simply painted the small ones and made a selection of the wedding dress and then painted it.

still, using mostly airbrush, i did a little reconstruction where i thought i could make a decent guess as to content. notice i didnt touch the lower left hand side of the image. there just wasnt enough there that i could tell what to rebuild.

after that, it was mostly my standard fare of airbrush, clone and push. i did almost all of the facial work with push. i vary the opacity on that between about 30 and 50, though, that's not a fixed thing. sometimes i go even lighter or heavier, but most of the work is within that range. i do this on blank layers set to 'use all layers'. generally, you want to keep it pretty light on faces. small changes in faces can make seemingly huge differences in one's appearance.

once i was fairly happy with most of the work, i did a copy all layers and paste to new layer giving me one layer with all the previous layer's work on it. i duplicated that and on the duplicate i ran psp's digital camera noise removal on roughly medium settings, something like 50/25/12, or 40/20/10 maybe, but not a heavy noise removal at all.

that smoothed things up mostly, but left some telltale noise along edges. i used push to smooth those down and that was pretty much it.

that's fairly close to what i did. it at least covers most of the major points. hope it helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding-1-k-1r-rp.jpg (177.2 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by Craig Walters; 11-23-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 03:54 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILDA WOOD View Post
mistermonday,
That restoration was truly amazing. I dont understand the 'cross polarisation' bit though. Anyone help on that?
Thanks
Some Standard Copying Techniques:
Shows samples of the following:
Standard Copy Setup - two lights and an easel or copystand.
Lighting for Surface Texture - raking light.
Photographing Through Glass - not shooting the photographer
Minimizing Surface Reflection - cross polarizing. (good for silvering)
Minimizing Surface Reflection - superimposed images.
Sculpture Photography - bounced flash.

(Thanks to 'bpurvis')
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 PM

Thanks Kraellin, loved the smoothness you achieved in the clothing. What do you mean by 'push' please?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM

OlBaldy,
That information is very useful.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-26-2009, 12:03 AM

hi hilda,

'push' is a paint shop pro brush. i'm told it's similar to a heavy smudge brush in photoshop. i use it frequently to work on fine details in restorations. i generally use a very small brush and a medium opacity, depending on the application needed.

so, you didnt like the faces?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks, I just have the advantage of knowing some of the people and some were restored totally true to themselves,and some just ever so slightly off key, but then, there wasnt much info there to start with, so Im not complaining!
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2009, 11:41 PM

rokily dokily.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Kraelin,

Seems like most of the beautiful work you did on this was achieved by artistic means (for lack of a better term) than simply clicking on a filter, etc. Amazing work! All those faces.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM

Kraelin,
Do you know of a list that cross-references photoshop's command names with paint shop pro's names? I use ps and not sure exactly where to find some of the things you listed (like fade correction). Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM

hi marggg and welcome to RP

and thanks

there is a list... if it's still there. it is referenced in these threads... somewhere. so, there shld be a link in this forum... somewhere. lol. yeah, real helpful, i know. but, it does exist.
hang on, let me try a couple things...

ok, here we go: http://paintshoppro.info/tutorials/p...dictionary.htm

i dont know if that's up to date or not with cs4 and psp x2.

fade correction in paint shop pro is for like an image that has faded quite a bit, especially a black and white and that has faded towards a dull white. it will restore contrast really well in situations like that and bring back the darks and lights.

clarify, another psp filter, is similar to fade correction, but it tends to actually alter pixels more white and more dark based on the existing shades. it's a good final type of filter in bringing out that last bit of detail.

and push is another one i use a lot. push is a brush tool. i'm told it's comparable to a heavy smudge in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration