RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Badly Scratched Old Wedding ~Photo

Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 AM

Hi All,
This is the only surviving photo of Mom & Dads wedding. I have had several attempts already but get stuck every time with the fading over the suite on the man on the left. Also none of the noise plug ins take out all the fine scratch marks without destroying too much detail. Any ideas please.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wedding.jpg (75.9 KB, 412 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 03:47 PM

Dust and Scratches,then bring back the details.
Levels,blending on some places on the face.
Sepia and a small amount of color added,and also a frame.

I have a larger file if you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wedding-web.jpg (97.4 KB, 288 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Patron

Re: Badly Scratched Old Wedding ~Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILDA WOOD View Post
none of the noise plug ins take out all the fine scratch marks without destroying too much detail. Any ideas please.
Thanks
use a noise plug-in on a combined, and copied layer... use a hide all mask(black) on this copied layer to hide the repair.. using a small, soft brush a bit bigger than the scratch or spot, paint with white on just the offensive area leaving the rest of the pictures detail as is
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Patron

When you look at the actual paper photo, can you see more detail than you can in the scan? If yes, then I would start with a rescan using a scanner with a high dynamic range. I would also make two scan - one vertically and the other with the image rotated 90 degrees. Between the two scans you may be able to attenuate the streaking.
I think what is most important in this photo is the preservation / restoration of the faces and that is what I would focus on foremost.
I would use a High Pass filter to isolate and sharpen the fine edges and create an edge mask to protect those edges. Selective cloning, healing, and blrring on the rest to clean some of the clothing and background up would be next. It depends what you want to accomplish in the finished restoration.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 12:42 AM

hi hilda,

tough image! start by bringing out all the detail you can. dont bother with noise reduction at first. just 'find the image'. and when you've found all you can, you're going to find that there's quite a bit of ruined data, blown out whites and blown out blacks. the options there are 'dont bother, it's too far gone' or rebuild.

once you've found the image, then you can start reducing noise, rebuilding, correcting whatever and so on. and, on an image like this that is rather severely noised up, you might want to clone/airbrush/smudge out some of the worst stuff first then de-noise. i'd also suggest not trying to take out all the noise at once. do a light de-noise and some more clone/smudge/airbrush and go back and forth. i use psp's noise reduction because i can specify whether i want to take out large, medium or small noise. on this image i'd be very tempted to only use the small and use clone for the larger stuff.

rebuilding on a photo like this can be tricky. look for edges to help. like, find the line of an arm and use that to define the body next to that arm and so on. i like to use airbrush on these to start. normally i just brush some paint on to kind of highlight what i want to do and then blur the whole and erase around the blurred area to remove unwanted and then a VERY light erase on the whole to reduce the effect so it doesnt look so much like an airbrush.

you've got a lot of work ahead of you on this one. it's pretty bad off. but, the main portions, the heads/faces are remarkably in fair shape, which is surprising given the rest of the image. so, it's certainly not a hopeless task.

i mentioned rebuilding is optional. this is quite true. there's no real need to rebuild a pair of pants on an image like this unless you're doing some sort of historical presentation or something. dont sweat the lesser important areas too much. it'll just drive you crazy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 02:57 AM

Hi everyone,
Lots of recommendations here, so will try my best taking them all into account. When I have done, I will post again with the finished result.
Thanks to you all, I did get into a bit of a mental block after about the seventh attempt, at least now I have more to go on.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Patron

Ali, you might want to check out this thread:
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...storation.html
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 AM

mistermonday,
That restoration was truly amazing. I dont understand the 'cross polarisation' bit though. Anyone help on that?
Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Patron

A Polarization filter only allows light waves travelling at certain angles to enter a lense, scanner or other light capturing device. Polarizing filters are often used on camera lenses to filter out reflection off surfaces of water or window glass or shiny faces (automobiles), etc. The filter can be rotated so as to optimize what light gets through. I would assume that Chuck Uebele used the filter to minimize some of the streaks and scratches when photographing or scanning the photo. Why don't you go back to the thread and ask Chuck for more info.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2009, 06:11 AM

As promised, heres a copy of a more recent attempt to restore the wedding photo. Not quite what I want, so will probably try again, too much detail lost in the faces I think and they don't merge into the background like they should. This was a high res scan at 1200. At least I am a bit more confident about removing the scratches.
Thanks to you all who helped point me in the right direction.
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1300-rs-optimtwo-one.jpg (106.7 KB, 162 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration