RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

textured photo

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM

Re: textured photo

Thanks, Cupcake, I'd like to try that!
Thanks, csuebele, I don't have a camera with those filters, but shooting it at diff angles I can do with my digital camera. If I layered the image with the darken blending mode, wouldn't it get really dark overall?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2009, 09:16 PM

No, darken will only make an area as dark as the darkest places of that layer. Multiply will darken the image. If you have a tripod, try taping the photo to a wall and take a light and take one exposure with the light to the right side, one to the left, one from the top, and one from the bottom. Keep the light far enough away so you don't get too much light fall off. I found an old print with a heavy texture. I'm going to try it hopefully tomorrow to see if it works as I think it will.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM

you can also use the FFT filter built into Image Analyzer (IA). IA is free and their fast fourier transform is easier than the normal FFT or RGBFFT filters. you can get it from the Meesoft site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 AM

Hello. I`m quite new in this forum (logged yesterday) and maybe this post is already out of the public interest. However, I`ll mention that`s one of my weekly problems, when I restore all kind of images.
The answer for my point of view is that no filter could fix or eliminate the texture. The only way to restore is painting the whole image:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2psgck6.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/xv9u0.jpg

You can`t blurr the photo because should be worth. You must paint every pixel because if not you`ll have new patches over the old original stuff.
A little ammount (5-6%) of noise/dust and scratches, curves, then paint with the S and B brushes, dodge and burn tools for the volumes, a special brush for the hair texture (make it yourself); really few tools are needed but a lot of patience and dedication.
Regards,
Florin

Last edited by Florin; 12-17-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 11:03 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
I`ll mention that`s one of my weekly problems, when I restore all kind of images.
The answer for my point of view is that no filter could fix or eliminate the texture. The only way to restore is painting the whole image:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2psgck6.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/xv9u0.jpg

You can`t blurr the photo because should be worth. You must paint every pixel because if not you`ll have new patches over the old original stuff.

really few tools are needed but a lot of patience and dedication.[/I]
Regards,
Florin
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

I like what you have done with the samples you provided.. very nice work!

I thought I would throw up a sample, using one of the samples of paper texture you provided. I used the FFT filter included with Image Analyzer 1.31 (Freeware for Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7)

Took about 20 seconds (using only the FFT filter) Notice necklace, eyes, earring, hair.... very little blurring!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFT_Only.jpg (194.6 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Yes, my friend. Always is necessary use a little ammount of some filter for the beginning, I agree. However, after that, you must paint the whole stuff. You have to paint because the only filter by itself can`t resolve the image restoration. We are talking about a restoration, not only remove the texture. This is the first easy step. The hard work and ability come later, with the painting. Here is the result:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ij2rdv.jpg

Regards and glad to meet you,
Florin
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 06:57 PM

Thank you for great information.

I use FFT filter in Image Analyzer is great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby-5-before-100.jpg (74.4 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Hello again. Sorry but I can`t see anything great here. It`s only an unfocused small picture without the texture. Enlarge this to 6" x 8" or 4" x 8" / 400dpi, as you should print it and see. You couldn`t sell this kind of retouch to anyone.
I spent years trying to understand what`s the trick to decently fix a damaged image using the filters, plugins, layers and all this stuff, combining them, using the transitions, etc etc. From the beginning y used the brushes (clone and paint) but that`s no easy and many times I felt tired about. One must have a very large expierence to use them well and I didn`t manage this as well at the initiation as a restorer. The only thing I understood from my searches and mistakes was that restoration is an art, it`s not about fix something and receive xxxUS$ but be agreed about your final art work. Some 8-9 years ago I was prideful of my "restorations", now I`d be shamed to show those to you. Some moment I understood that a fine decent work need time, study and a lot of practice. And I begun a new step and I worked hard to improve the painting technique. It was the only way to recover the image. Truely, some years ago I was spending 10 days to do what I`m doing today in 5 hours and with better resoults. Surf the net and tell me later the story. Very, very few sites are using this (painting the whole image), most of the people throw a couple of plugins, clone some of the scratches and cash 10 or 15 bucks. That`s what we could say a good business but not art. I don`t do this, I`m not interested about. Maybe I`m wrong and I apologise if I`m too stright with my comments. It`s my point of view. I`m so new here and don`t want to look like some restorations-guru, no, I only want to share my expierences, the good and the bad ones.
The restoration below coudn`t be done by no filter in this world but painting.
My best regards to all of you.
http://i49.tinypic.com/25teu5c.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Welcome to RetouchPRO

Took about 20 seconds (using only the FFT filter) Notice necklace, eyes, earring, hair.... very little blurring!
...and another 3 minutes...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FFT_Only copy_and_denoise.jpg (132.5 KB, 61 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-18-2009, 08:32 AM

I really don`t understand one thing: ¿what`s the hurry? "20 seconds and another 3 minutes"... Don`t think we are in the Retouch Olimpycs, ¿do you?
You have very good jobs in your site, I just see them and I like your potential, you have a great talent, good eye and skill. The only thing I should recommend is pay a little more attention to the details and leave the hurry. Give it let say "the final touch", spent a little more time than the famous 3 minutes and paint the confused details. Especially the eye`s expression is the more important, that`s will determine if the restoration is going for the right way. We can`t leave blurred, fade or expressionless eyes.
Here are some marks:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2v1rj21.jpg
The idea is deliver an almost perfect job, I`m saying almost because we can`t be perfect but we should try to be.
I have too my leaks, not always my jobs are so perfect but there is one thing that I understood after all these years: keep impoving my technique all days long and try that my next work be better than now.
My best regards

Last edited by Florin; 12-18-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration