RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

textured photo

Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Re: textured photo

Florin, as I have said in another thread your work is "almost perfect", but I think you should bear in mind that the discussion threads here are more about comparing techniques than seeing who can do the best job.

Not everybody can spare hour upon hour (without getting paid ) to work on somebody else's image and then post an 800 pixel size result squashed into 100KB.

So ""20 seconds and another 3 minutes" should be taken as an indication of a useful step in the process, but not the time one would take to acheive the final product for a (paying) client.

I, for one, am very interested in your "painting" technique and would like to discuss it with you. Personally I usually resort to smudging which can get (less than perfect) results in the hour or so that I give myself to work on an image from these threads.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
You have very good jobs in your site, I just see them and I like your potential, you have a great talent, good eye and skill. The only thing I should recommend is pay a little more attention to the details and leave the hurry. Give it let say "the final touch", spent a little more time than the famous 3 minutes and paint the confused details. Especially the eye`s expression is the more important, that`s will determine if the restoration is going for the right way. We can`t leave blurred, fade or expressionless eyes.
Thank you for the tips.
I would use the "painting" technique with some restraint, but that's only IMHO.

Last edited by chillin; 12-19-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 AM

hi florin and welcome to RP.

as one of the folks here who do a lot of hand work, i tend to agree with most of your philosophy. and i must say, your work is very good! i'm impressed

but, like byRo said, real life and the almighty dollar do play a part in one's work. the term 'starving artist' is all too real. so, one has to always mix quality and quantity, which translates into how good can you make it in how short a time period and balance those two with your client's demands and willingness to pay for good work. it's just one of those realities that's hard to get away from.

another point to this is, your work is actually more than a restoration. it's almost photo art (and you do it very well). so, it's actually restoration plus enhancement. you are actually taking the original back to better than the original from what i can see on your web site, and that's fine, but, others dont. myself, for instance, tries to restore to the original state except where that state needed retouching, as in blown out whites, etc, in which case, then i fix. but, trying to get everyone to restore and enhance is actually wrong for some folks and for some clients. so, whereas your work is really excellent, i dont agree that everyone shld try to follow along those lines. certainly, i would like to know more about your technique, but i still think simple restoring is sometimes the better path.

also, one tip for you on your work. make a selection on the skin areas and add back some noise. it needn't be much, but it will give it a little more of that photo quality rather than the painted quality. if the client wants painted, then that's fine, but if they want photo, try adding back a little noise at the end of your restore. it gives a little texture to the skin. the attached is yours with a little noise added back in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25teu5c-1k-1.jpg (173.0 KB, 53 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 05:34 AM

Craig, I know we've wandered off topic, but it's probably not a coincidence that the "Painting and Enhancing" Restorers (i.e. me and Florin) are both from South America.

Maybe it's because the customers around here want a "NEW" photo and aren't too worried about technical accuracy.
I'm just an amateur, but I'm sure that Florin is attending to the clientes wishes, otherwise...

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 02:12 PM

Hello. Sure, you`re right. Sometimes I feel it too, maybe I`m wrong, too much details, too much time, an obsession for the perfection that doesn`t exsists... I really don`t know, good or bad... but this is my way and I can`t change. I prefere to be accordant to my point of view of the final art than think first about money and profitability. I prefere to receive someone`s greetings before the cash. ¿Is this crazy? ¿Is it a bad business? Everyone is free to do everything as the final result is feeling great, feel he`s someone in the brand. I feal great when my clients (not always) are congratulating me. Worth more than any cash. For me, restoration is first a challenge, is the art to rescue (sometimes) what`s impossible for the others, is improve every day my technique, is acquire from other people what I`m still missing, is understand my errors and try to be better. I`m not so young, I`m 57 and the only thing I regret is I`m not in the 30th again and have the desire and the enthusiasm I have now.
You`ll tell me if I`m nuts or not. Don`t worry, I`m a very open mind.
Cheers
P.S.
I just receive a mail with this:
http://i46.tinypic.com/s1uxj6.jpg
¿What should you do?

Last edited by Florin; 12-19-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Patron

Keeping on track with the Original Poster:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marggg View Post
a raised beaded texture. Is there a filter or other technique that can be used to get rid of it?
Again I used the FFT in Image Analyzer..

Quote:
I`m not so young, I`m 57
Yes, You are young compared to some of us..

Then answering your question:

Quote:
I just receive a mail with this:
http://i46.tinypic.com/s1uxj6.jpg
¿What should you do?
I would do FFT, Noise removal, some healing and smoothing (about an hours worth all together) I know it is still very soft but I am not an artist so I did not harden the edges nor do any smudging...

~~~Original~~~~ FFT + Noise removal
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1uxj6_Orig.jpg (158.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Orig_RP_A.jpg (198.0 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 12-19-2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: darkened nostril a bit
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 02:52 PM

This picture has been through (at least) two stages of image loss:
  1. Original to Halftone Black and White (Bitmap) dither;
  2. Bitmap to JPG.
Which means that the size of over 800 pixels is misleading. As this is a dither pattern you have to consider a group o Bitmap pixels as representing one greyscale pixel.
In this image the pattern repeats at intervals of 5.3 pixels so, in fact, the image size is really only around 165 (greyscale) pixels (attached).

That is the information you (really) have to start with.
If you're not a "Painter" there's not much you can do except blow this image up to size.
If you are a "Painter", then it's time to paint.
I did a quick smudge (attached)to illustrate the idea but I'm sure Florin can do much better!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Florin-byRo-1.jpg (20.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Florin-byRo-2.jpg (195.8 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM

Florin,
Certainly very glad you have joined and decided to contribute. Your work and your talent should be a valuable contribution to RetouchPro.

I see where both your perspective and others' are correct for restoration work. Your ability to brush an image is very good, and I am envious. However, I will never be able to do it. I know my limitations. And, I often explain that to anyone asking me for such a restoration. If it cannot be restored using more technical methods, I refer them to someone else. Sorry, but I am not an artist. Would I like to be ?... certainly, but it's not very likely to happen any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byRo View Post
Maybe it's because the customers around here want a "NEW" photo and aren't too worried about technical accuracy.
Ro, I would agree with that as well. It also is an issue in the states, simply depending upon who approaches you for restoration work. Some want it to be exactly as the original (a technical restoration), others are less inclined and are satisfied with a more artist restoration. Again, it becomes very important to have some discussion with the owner as to what our particular talents are.

Florin,
As Ro and Craig have asked, it would be good to create a thread or two and share some of what you have learned. Your skills are not often applied to restoration work, and represent a missing element here on RetouchPro. I'm sure many others would appreciate your sharing it with us. Something along the lines of your basic workflow... how you get started... what you use from the original, what you don't... how do you "see" what you've done and what is still needed to be done.... etc.

Quote:
P.S.I just receive a mail with this....¿What[/url] should you do?
And I think Florin meant this to be an practical example of an image that just cannot be restored satisfactorily without a more artistic approach.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 AM

One pass of KPT Equalizer plus levels. Cool no ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1uxj6b.JPG (95.0 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2009, 09:38 AM

Wow - I don't really have much more to offer on this except to say 'different strokes for different folks' - Chillin, Kraellin and Florin all bring out some WONDERFUL techniques for restoring these photos. There's no doubt that the FFT filter is pretty darn amazing, but there is certainly something very appealing about the painting technique for certain pictures - with a bit of noise as Kraellin suggested to keep some of the authenticity of the original.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration