RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

My first attempt

Old 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM

Thumbs up My first attempt

Hi there, for the last year or so i have been teaching myself a bit o photoshop here and there, layers are confusing me, but thats a different story.

Anyway!!!, i did a couple of photos for my girlfriends dad to hang up at his surprise birthday doo a while ago, it aint perfect, the hairs aint finnished, im not 100% about the sky, well i could go on.
Having just stumbled upon this forum, id like to try my hand at a few pictures on here to get soem practice, and id also appreciate any tips anyone has for me what i did right or wrong in my photo ive uploaded.

I'd also like to see anyone else have a go and see what you can all come up with.

I have a few others ive done, but i dont have them to hand.

The untouched image i have uploaded here, is (i beleive) from a newspaper clipping from the 60s/70s.
Thank you all, and love the forum.!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarahdad.jpg (89.1 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg finalone.jpg (82.7 KB, 134 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 11:50 AM

Re: My first attempt

I'd say pretty darn good job considering the source. Just a couple things: on the 2nd and 3rd men on top from the left-try not to clean up the hair TOO much. you've changed his hairstyle which is sort of changing his who he is..a retouching no-no. The man's face at the very end on the right has changed structure a little. It's tough since there is really no detail, but try an mimic the structure a little more accurately. Other than that this is a great job..color is really believable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Talking Re: My first attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvrdogg86 View Post
I'd say pretty darn good job considering the source. Just a couple things: on the 2nd and 3rd men on top from the left-try not to clean up the hair TOO much. you've changed his hairstyle which is sort of changing his who he is..a retouching no-no. The man's face at the very end on the right has changed structure a little. It's tough since there is really no detail, but try an mimic the structure a little more accurately. Other than that this is a great job..color is really believable.
Thank you for that, yes the hair on that bloke took aaaages, and in the end i whipped it off, lol.

yes the guy on the end has a strage circle shape over his eye that i couldnt solve, i may go back in and have another go.Probaby not the right solution, but the original has lots of lines all the way though, and i got rid of them by using the de-interlace filter in cs3, not sure if that was the right thing to do or not, but it worked.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 02:13 PM

Thumbs up Re: My first attempt

I'm impressed! Great job on your first attempt!

I would use a very small blur tool around the edges (of the people against the background, like their hair). See if that makes them blend more naturally into the picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:41 PM

just a couple of tips. dont go solid on your colorizing. it will look fake. break it up a bit by either lowering the 'density' setting on your brush or use a blend mode (part of the whole layers thing... a way of blending layer effects together in various ways), or lower your opacity on the brush. any way you do it, you dont want solids. they look too much like coloring book coloring (not that you have a lot of this, mind you.) and find a good noise removal program. Neat Image is one used by a lot of folks here. photoshop and paint shop pro both have noise reduction filters and there are others out there on the market. find one you can be comfortable with.

layers are actually pretty easy, at least in what they are basically. think of layers of plastic or glass all stacked on top of each other. say you divided those plates up in fourths and painted a different solid color in each quarter. and say you had, then, four of these all stacked on top of each other. because the layer itself is actually transparent, you'd see all four painted quarters. they'd all show through to the top looking down. but, if you painted the top one completely solid, you'd not be able to see the others. that's really all it is. that's what a layer is, a transparent plane on which one draws, paints, etc. these are stacked to create different effects and make work easier. one can put one thing on one layer and have that part completely finished, while then going to another to add another part and so on. and, as mentioned, you can also blend these various layers together with 'blend modes', which blend in different ways according to the rules of that blend mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-14-2009, 12:56 PM

Thumbs up Re: My first attempt

Thank you for that, i will need to get into layers, not doing so is too inflexible, especially with the amount of work some photos need, no layers mean, you can only backtrack so much.
Yea, i do need to look at a noise filter, they seem to work wonders with some photos on here.

I dont know if this is right or not, but i always make the image size 3x the original size for small images, as it allows me to do more detailed work as "Blocky" images, i find a nughtmare to work with.

I never used a brush, i used the magnetic lasso to go round for example, someones hand,arms,face,legs, then saved the selection, then used the colour ballance to colour to the appropriate colour shade, that means if i get to the end and dont like the look of something, i can de-saturate it and then re-coulour it again.
No doubt there is a proper/better way to do it LOL, but i was self taught, and it was the best way i found.

Anyway this is probably childs play for you, but just thought id put my method out there.

Thanks for the Input!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 PM

well, the bottom line is, whatever works. so, method is always secondary to results.

i had a go at this image. i doubled the image size, added some contrast, fixed the overly light area on the left, ran a noise filter, cleaned up artifacts left by noise filter, made new blank layer and painted the uniforms, gaussian blurred that layer, set it to 'color blend= color', erased spillover from blur, did the faces the same way, then the arms and legs, again, each of those done on a blank layer, then did the grass, cloning a little onto the left to darken it up.

there was a little touch-up here and there as i went, as well. i also could have painted a better sky in there, but let it go for now. the image could also be cropped to eliminate some of that harsh, bright white at the top and it wouldnt hurt too much. i generally prefer not to crop too much as i tend to like to maintain the original integrity as much as possible.

the trick with colorizing isnt just the coloring. the first trick is to get the image in the best shape possible before adding any color. it's the old adage of garbage in = garbage out (and no, that wasnt a comment on your work ). the point is, it's much harder to get good results with a poor image. so, retouch/restore/rebuild first, then add your crayolas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarahdad-1-k-1k-rp.jpg (194.1 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration