RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Ideas For Torn Photo...

Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Ideas For Torn Photo...

Hi,

Firstly let me say I have been a member on this retouchpro website for over a year now, soaking up all the information I possibly can that you excellent people have been able to offer via various posts/threads, but have yet to make a single post (shame on me really!!)

But recently have come across a photo (link below) which I have no idea even if its possible to reconstruct of my great grandmother, and my grandfather as a lad, with half his head missing I might add!

Repairing the tears, marks, etc is no problem (learned that from you guys!), however its the half of head issue, is what I know I will be stuck on, as there is not a lot I can work from seeing the face is on an angle, so looks "odd" if you try and construct the other side (if that makes sense). What makes the problem even worse, this is the only photo of him, so cannot take the face from elsewhere to try and repair it.

Before I remove the marks on the photos, I was wondering what you guys would do regarding the "half a head" problem. Remove him altogether?

Any info/advice would be appriciated so I can take this forward, whichever way I decide is the best way.

Again thank you everyone who has posted on here in the last 12 months, its amazing what you can learn from just reading!!

For the record regarding the photo, have already desaturated it, cropped and decreased the resolution just for the below link, otherwise the file is huge the way i scan things in!

[img=http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3928/tornheadphoto.th.jpg]
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Re: Ideas For Torn Photo...

Have you tried using the left(his left side of his face to reconstruct all or even part of the right side? Then you could search for an old photo that closely resembles his hair-head and reconstruct that. Time consuming I'm sure but being the only picture of your grandfather, it would be well worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:37 PM

Yes have tried what you mention, about using the left side of his face, and basically flipping it to the other side, which i thought would at first work. However the face is on a slight angle to the camera I think, which proves when pasted not symetrical, if that makes sense.

I have got other photos of him, but later in life, where basically he lost his hair, so they are of no use, and to be honest it dont even look the same man even if it is.

For the age of the photo (circa 1900) its not that bad quality apart from the tear of the face/head, so its a shame just to forget about it and move onto something else.

Time consuming yes, but all photo that i restore are well worth it, lovely hobby
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:38 PM

You should keep him in the photo for sure.
Just use his right eye, freehand selection tool, mirror.
Same with other parts of his forehead.

Here is quick example. You can do much better taking your time.
Good Luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tornheadphoto3.jpg (78.3 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg tornheadphoto2.jpg (78.1 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by aartist; 12-29-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:49 PM

wow, very impressive indeed, so it looks like it can be done afterall, thank you very much, definately going to have a longer try with this one. I still have lots to learn I think
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff View Post
Yes have tried what you mention, about using the left side of his face, and basically flipping it to the other side, which i thought would at first work. However the face is on a slight angle to the camera I think, which proves when pasted not symetrical, if that makes sense.
I would agree with Aartist, and try again. Use a large section of the good side of his head, copy, flip, warp, then mask away what you don't want. Spend a lot of time in the warp tool. You can get the perspective correct if you work at it. Next, spend a lot of time with the mask, making the copy blend perfectly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Yes, I did use warp tool and recommend it too, just as TommyO mentions
and repositioned his pupil too, so he would not be cross eyed. Unless
you know for a fact he was cross eyed.

When you're done, would you post your finished product for us? Thanks.

Last edited by aartist; 12-29-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 PM

Warp tools huh....I think i need to learn a bit more

Any pointers on how to use this tool? Any you can imagine, if I have never used it before, its daunting to say the least!

Yes I will post the finished product no matter how long it takes me now i know it can be accomplished
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 07:56 AM

Very interesting tool this warp tool is, how did i manage before you guys mentioned it i never know !!

Still playing about with his head at the moment getting used to how the tool operates, but have one question, what is the best way to move the pupil of the eye so he dont look cross eyed as mentioned above?

To add, thanks for all the above help guys its much appricated
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM

I just cloned the pupil to the appropriate position.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration