RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Colouring the pictures: ¿How to?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:55 PM

Re: Colouring the pictures: ¿How to?

Very nice pics, good jobs. But, as u say, working with old stuff is so different.
People never send me new pics, just mess to be fixed.... I like very much your colors
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 PM

panpan...also very nice...

even with your technique nailed down how long does it take you?

Last edited by skydog; 05-02-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 11:46 PM

Thank you Florin and skydog.

Quote:
even with your technique nailed down how long does it take you?
Let's see...

About half an hour to put every item on its own layer. The original b&w at the bottom is the only luminance layer. The other layers are in color mode, with a hue or a color balance adjustment layer clipped to some of them.
I put skin on top, then hair, lips, eyes, teeth, clothes, etc. The selections get progressively easier because I only have to do a very rough selection on the edges already masked above. For example, I only select a rough oval for the outside of the lips; I only have to worry about masking out teeth.

Next I research and decide the colors I'm going to use. What were that celebrity's hair and eye colors? What are the colors of an Underwood typewriter? Research can be hard. For example, what is the color of that flower that I cannot name? What is that thing behind Lana Turner? Put an hour there.

The colorizing itself is easy. I already have gradient maps for different skins, hairs and objects to use as a starting point. Put half an hour here for applying those and to create some new gradient maps from the example images I googled in the previous step.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 12:00 AM

Very nice work Florin & Panpan.
Here another technique you could add to your toolbox.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 04:31 AM

Thumbs up Re: Colouring the pictures: ¿How to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
Hi, Helen. I´m some crazy guy which spent 4 or 5 more time to restore a high level pic. I´m talking abut some very damaged ones like this: http://i40.tinypic.com/xeqt89.jpg
Easy pics never come to me. So, I have ipmroved the clone-brushpaint technique all these years just because leave behind a lot of details in a "fixed" pic is not for my taste. Maybe I´m too exagerate, that´s true, but I get accustomed to paint. This started when I knew what the clonebrush can do. It´s much more better than the paintbrush (B) because you can have blended pixels, transitions etc and not so flat colors as "B" brush. It´s just a skill technique, nothing more. I also study or look a lot abuot the human physiognomy. This helps me to rebuilt (like the pic above) the fadded and missing parts of the image. I always start with the eyes, rebuilt and expression. If you´ll do good eyes you´ll have inloved the client. Then, go down little by little, painting the nose, mouth and cheeks. It´s so slow but sometimes the damages are so extended and no tool could remake the image. Work hard with the clonebrush and you´ll see in some middle-time the best resoults.
Cheers
Thanks Florin for your reply, this is the first time i've heard of clone-brush technique I suppose you learn something everyday. Your work is wonderful looks similar to smudge painting it looks like hard work what you've done and I am sure you've put years of practice to get as good as you have.

Keep up the wonderful work I am sure you have lots of very satisfied customers.

regards

helen
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 AM

PanPan...

tell me a little more about your gradient maps...different for each application? what do you find to be the difference between using and not using?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM

skydog,

I have a basic set of gradients for skin and hair that I use as a starting point and modify with hue/saturation or adjustment layers.
I attached them to this entry. I made them from skin patch sets available here I think. Most of the gradients are self-explanatory when you hover the mouse over them. Some are more obscure like Vlady. I made it from sampling French actress Marina Vlady's lips (only the photo, alas).
I repurpose gradients all the time. For instance when I'm not using 'Vlady', I may use a more saturated, red-shifted version of a skin gradient.

Quote:
what do you find to be the difference between using and not using?
Skin is not monochromatic with two spots of blush on the cheeks.
First of all, skin - and hair more so - is shiny and shine desaturates. So my gradients have lower saturation for lighter shades, all the way to white.

Second, skin is semi-transparent. With more light you see more of the yellow fat underneath. There are also many areas that are redder: cheekbones, nose, chin point, front skull plate and ears (some people have full-ear blush; others have upper ear blush). And that's only the face.
I handle the yellow shift in the gradient and the red shift with a color balance adjustment layer clipped to the skin layer. That adjustment is masked with a highly feathered selection of the areas mentioned above.

Third, the darker the skin, the more variations it has.

Fourth and last, variations are esthetically pleasing.

I've talked of skin and hair, but this applies to varying degree to other items in a photograph. That's why I use gradients to colorize them too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Pierre Gradients.zip (3.8 KB, 37 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Chillin,

Thank you for the link. I'm reading it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration