RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

is this a photo?

Old 03-07-2010, 10:12 AM

is this a photo?

Looking for info only here. A friend from Canada asked me to try and restore her old family photo. Upon first look, it does look like a photo but as I clean it up, it looks less and less like a photo and more like a painting. The more i look at it, the less I think the starting pic is a photo. I'm not sure if i am overdoing it with the fixes or if this thing is even a photo to start. I'm not new to photo restoration but I am a bit rusty at it

Her photo is the first time I've encountered one that doesn't clearly appear to be a photo to me once i start working on it. Can any of you tell me if this is an actual photo? I'm uploading the original untouched of it. I'd like to be sure before i spend too much time on it only to second guess myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg father.jpg (89.5 KB, 195 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Re: is this a photo?

It looks like the face is a photo with some painting on it; and the rest a painting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 10:51 AM

The hair and clothes are definitely painted. The face is rendered very well, almost photoreal, but often in portraits the face is very detailed while the clothes and hair are not. My guess is it's photograph of a painting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM

hi,
well my 2 cents worth... to me it looks like a picture of a painting...

i have a picture of my g-g-g-g grandparents .. but the painting was
done before there were cameras.... much later a picture was taken
of the painting.... the overall quality is very similar to yours.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Thank you everyone for confirming what I suspected but thought i must be nuts. Honestly, I was feeling like a bit of a boob not being sure one way or the other. Have any of you restored photos of painting? I'm wondering if photo restore steps are out (most of them) and approach it more like a watercolor, using those techniques and filters?

Just wondering what the best approach, for the best results would be for this photo
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM

I would say it is a photograph that that has had some hand retouching done to it. It was quite commonly done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 09:02 PM

it actually doesnt matter... photo, painting, photo of a painting... it's moot once it's digitized. use the same tools you'd use for a restoration on anything. know the tools, do the job. simple
Attached Images
File Type: jpg father-1-k-1a-rp.jpg (186.2 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 06:02 AM

Third option: it's a real photograph of a man made entirely of paint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 09:09 AM

I've photographs of my parents and older sister which have had a similiar technique done. Seems some studio darkroom images were artistically painted, with varied talent after the initial processing and at the time people loved it (even though it was more photo art than retouching). As today, most clients like to see themselves in a better light than reality has to offer. Similar to rewriting history. In many cases there's not an accurate example of the original. Just look at the many images posted in modern day high school year books. When looking back you'll see your school friends as they "wished" they had looked.

The attached example of a hand painted photo of the past, which was quite common. Depending on the painters talent, some were done much better than others.

I guess it's apparent I like keeping things as realistic as possible, although this does not seem to be the trend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example-LQQKER.jpg (40.7 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM

terrific! Thanks everyone. Good to know the tools are interchangeable to different media. I must have lived a sheltered photo restoration life up to this point because this was the first really old photo that the majority (if not all) was painted and i was clueless.

So much new information, thank you!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration