RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Request feedback

Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Request feedback

This is my first post and I am new to RetouchPRO. I came across this photo on line while I was looking for work. They requested that the original photo be restored and colored and sent back to them. After sending them the restored photo I awaited some feedback, which never came. So I am requesting some input as to the quality of my work, as I am self taught, and I enjoy restoring old photos. Thanks for any feedback
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-Sarah.jpg (93.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 10-Sarah_a.jpg (63.5 KB, 104 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 AM

Re: Request feedback

I think you would enjoy the tutorial section or you could look for threads like this one
Attached Images
File Type: gif 10_sarah_chillin1.gif (122.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by chillin; 03-19-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 PM

P51,
Restorations can be touchy, especially for the owner of the image. Some people want very little done, some a lot. Without having spoken to the owner, you simply don't know what their expectations were.

If I were the owner, I would have preferred less done to the image. But, that's just me. I really like the restoration to simply fix the damage and bring out more detail in the image. If it still looks old, I like it that way.

You may find colorization to be similar. Some like a lot (as you have done), and some want only a tint like would have been done in the early 1900's. Again, my preference is only a tint.

Overall, I think your restoration was pretty good. My issues would be with the hair and the arms. Something about those just don't look right.

Best of luck, and maybe try saving intermediate versions. You could then offer several versions to an owner.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 09:07 PM

you've got a good start in some areas. I would try a different color or dial it down a bit for the skin, and maybe try bringing some to the eyes. The hair could use a little more definition or shadow where it meets the forehead. Since you had to fabricate almost the entire shirt, try adding a few more wrinkles or folds to give it some depth. And you could even avoid having to do the whole bottom and arms and go for a vignette effect around the picture...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 AM

Thank you both for your input, it really helps. Since I still have the psd file it will be easy for me to go into it and make adjustmensts. I will try another one and keep more of the feel of the old photo, and add a vingette to hide the arm. Didn't really get the effect that I wanted with the close arm anyway. I will also tone down the coloration. Thanks again for your input. It's nice to get some feedback.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Added touch of color and noise to blouse
and desaturated a bit overall.

Lovely photo restore, nice job overall.
They should have left feedback,
but it's never too late to ask.

My thought is they loved it otherwise
you would have heard from them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10-Sarah_a2.jpg (96.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by aartist; 03-15-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P51 View Post
This is my first post and I am new to RetouchPRO. I came across this photo on line while I was looking for work. They requested that the original photo be restored and colored and sent back to them. After sending them the restored photo I awaited some feedback, which never came. So I am requesting some input as to the quality of my work, as I am self taught, and I enjoy restoring old photos. Thanks for any feedback
Good work.
If I may, I do have a few comments with my example. If you're like me, I learn better from images rather than by reading instructions.

Here's what I did. I thought that her right shoulder area looked out of proportion so I simply copied a selection of that to a new layer and moved it closer to her neck; used Selective Colors to tone her skin - less red; same with her eyes; curves to darken her hair, add light to her skin and increase the contrast in her face; added a pattern to her white dress, colored it and then added some splotches of color; evened her skin a bit with the clone tool and healing brush; added a pattern and color to the background; sharpened and added some noise.
In each case, I made the adjustment, inverted or filled the mask and selectively applied the effect.

http://www.pbase.com/image/122786416

Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM

i'm not buying the hair in any of these. it's too gray for one that looks so young.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration