Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

tips /pointers on restoration

Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 AM

tips /pointers on restoration

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grumpy4...7623677193912/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/grumpy4...7623677193912/
I hope this works,any tips on how I could make this better. I did not like the way the collar came out.
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Patron

Re: tips /pointers on restoration

Mike, the gentleman's face has been blurred to the extent that I am not sure if I prefer the before image. A pixel level dodge and burn along with minimal clonining can give you a much cleaner, sharper and more pleasing result. The down side it that you may need a couple of hours worth of work on it.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-23-2010, 12:10 PM

Thanks Murray, this is my first real attempt at restoring a photo. I am trying the d and b but it allways looks flat to me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 06:17 PM

At what point doe's restoration go beyond just plain clarity . In this photo the mess was all but eliminated and a pretty nice photo was left
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM

djm,

that pretty much has to be decided by the artist and the client. i know for myself, i look at something and go 'yup, that's good enough.' That usually happens when, if i imagine being the client, and i'd be happy with the improvement. for others it may be different. basically, you are creating an effect. the person you are creating this effect on is your client (or if not professionally, then maybe a friend or family) and if they are happy, you see that smile on their face or they go 'wow!' or something along those lines, then ya done good some folks think they have to do perfection. that's pretty much the wrong thing to shoot for. shoot for a good improvement, a good effect on the client, a good communication, something close to the original (if possible) or something that anyone, if they picked your work up, would go, "nice job!".

you have to be a bit flexible with the results. some photos are so badly damaged as to be nearly un-helpable. you do what you can or refuse the job as too difficult. some jobs are fairly easy. some folks like to not just restore but to also enhance, like in removing blemishes or wrinkles are to colorize black and whites. if the client is happy, you've done your job.

but, beware the trouble client. some folks wont be happy if you went back in time and retook the picture yourself. those, you just shut the door on and never do work for again. they'll eat you up in being overly critical, slow to pay if they pay at all and will give you bad references no matter how good the job was. tough one to learn, but ya have to know those folks exist.

most folks are decent and will pay for good work done. it's the 'done' you have to decide when it's there or not. sometimes you just ask the client; 'how's this?' and if you get your 'wow!', then it's done. if you see a frown or a puzzled look, start asking questions and get them to describe what they REALLY need and want. folks dont always know what it is they want, or, if they know, they dont always know how to express it. some will tell you 'just fix it' and when you do and show them, you may find out that your idea of 'just fix it' and their idea of the same, is not the same at all.

the best time to ask questions is before you start. pin them down as best you can. show them examples. explain the difference between restoration and restoration with enhancements. explain honestly up front if you think you cant do a decent restore on a badly damaged image. better to not take on the job at all than to spend hours on a job only to have the client frown. so, let them know what they can expect. showing them a portfolio can help. they'll have some idea of what to expect of you and your work.

this can be a tricky field. photos vary, clients vary. and as you'll see in this forum from person to person, results vary. basically, you have to set the level of quality and then maintain that integrity. you can set it high, set it low or however you want, but it's like anything else that is sold, the client is the one you have to sell to, so some are tough, some are easy and some will lie, cheat and steal and chew you up in the process.

it's a good question you pose; how good is good enough? the answer is, good enough to make a living on it and good enough that you can feel good about it
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM

My first impression is that the shirt and teeth are way too light. You've lost all detail in both. A key to restoration is to keep detail, but lose damage. The challenge comes when those things overlap. I would rework the image trying to preserve the luminosity value in both.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2010, 07:45 PM

I did a screen capture and did a quick restore on your photo. Take look at the red channel, it's not in bad shape. Use it as a starting point for the restoration. It took me about 15 min. and I think most customers would be happy with it.

As mentioned already, bumping up the contrast not only destroys detail, but it detracts from the original photo. The other destroyer of detail is noise reduction, it's all too easy to over do it and often creates a blotches. IMO, there's nothing wrong with a little grain in a photo, and after it is printed you'll won't even notice the remaining grain.

If you'd like to give permission, I'll post my example. Will wait for your reply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 AM

please do, and thanks. I am not happy with the photo, and plan on fixing or completely retring it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdae View Post
My first impression is that the shirt and teeth are way too light. You've lost all detail in both. A key to restoration is to keep detail, but lose damage. The challenge comes when those things overlap. I would rework the image trying to preserve the luminosity value in both.
I agree with you . Idid not like the way the collar came out. I will try to add some texture to it and tone down the teeth.
Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2010, 01:03 AM

I'm sure you can get a better result with a high resolution scan, but here's what I could do with a screen capture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg man.jpg (81.8 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration