RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Restoring photo's with plugin's

Old 03-24-2010, 04:33 PM

Restoring photo's with plugin's

I have never used a plug in , don't really know what they are or seen one . People use them to repair photo's as I understand it . Hears my thought , if PS is such a high powered program , why is there a need for these other things ? Is it just because the others are specific to a need and only that need ? If thats the case why is it that PS doe's not have it , Or are these people using something that PS can do just as well without the added expense ? Maybe just a dumb ???
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Patron

Re: Restoring photo's with plugin's

Plugins are specialized programs or functions that are installed as extensions to PS. This means that rather than you running a separate piece of s/w to perform some editing of an image then closing that application and re-opening the image in PS, you can access and run that s/w directly inside of PS. Typically this is done through the Filter Menu. Most of the plugins can be found at the bottom of the Filter menu. Photoshop is a huge program with a very large number of tools. It tries to provide powerful tools for artists, graphics designers, web designers, and photographers - all for an affordable price. As it is, the program is huge. Overall it does a really great job, but it can't be the best at everything and it can't provide every tool that every user could ever use. That is where other s/w companies come in. They develop plugin which provide specialized tools for specific tasks. In some cases these plugins have nothing that you can't do in PS. However, they perform some tasks much more quickly because you would have to use multiple tools or commands in PS that can be done with one command in the plugin.
Other plugin have figured out a way to perform a function better than Adobe. Perhaps it is a proprietary algorithm or other clever engineering but they come up with a smarter mouse trap. There are thousands of plugins avaialable out there. Some are free, others low cost, and some cost several hundred dollars. Most have free trial versions so you can test them out and determine if they save you enough time and produce good enough results to make them worth the money.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 06:38 AM

I understand the PS position as far as can't be everything to everybody . For a hobbies like myself PS is way to expensive to keep upgrading and I think in time my PScs 3 will be out dated . This plug in thing looks very interesting and I will look into them . Where do I look,free , or otherwise ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM
Patron

Just Google "Photoshop Plugins" you see sites for free ones and all the major name brands + others.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

The Plugs 'N Pixels website has tons of info on plug-ins and related software, old and new (URL in sig).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Thank you Murray & plugsnpixels I have looked at some of what you have lead me to and it is very exciting . Now all I need to do is learn how to use them and understand what it is they do . I still need to learn how to upload in this forum . I have a tut and as time allows I will post a particularly trouble some photo . In the mean time I will search out a plug in that may help . Thanks so much for your time and help , awesome .
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration