Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Content Aware editing

Old 04-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Re: Content Aware editing

I am so disappointed:
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 PM

Content aware might be good for some issues, but its not at all good for skin. Even the content healing brush has dubious merit with skin texture.

For those looking to fix backgrounds by getting rid of large portions at a time its an ok step in the right direction.

But regardless of what use you are putting the tool through you need to watch out for similar artifacts and softening that the healing brush has historically caused. At times it can actually create more work by cleaning up these issues than by doing the work with pre-cs5 tools.

For those who deal with large images, hundreds, not tens, of megabytes refine edges will be a very slow and frustrating process although in the end there can be reasonably good results. Be aware that the algorithms used have a hard time dealing with sharp smooth edges AND softer edges within the same mask. So there very well can be the need to combine two masks to make one.

On large images, Puppet warp can also be a very slow process. Depending on what you are attempting to accomplish and with what subject you can get great results once the learning curve is conquered.

Don't let any of that stop you from trying the tools out and using them for what you decide is good enough. These tools are in their fledgling stage and only promise to get better in the future.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM

Chris, not being a hi end retoucher myself, I was curious what a hi end retoucher would think of these tools. I could see the potential, but didn't know how well they would actually work for that type of work. Thanks for the insight.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Nope Content Aware doesn't really hold up if you examine it too closely. Its alright I suppose as a shortcut, for hair (removal of strays) you can use it in this way as a starting point, but you will still need to go in and touch up where it has created drop offs and edges. The math it uses is very different from the healing tools, which attempt to create smooth transitions in tone. Content Aware on the other hand is cruder and leaves sharp color drop offs. Look at your solars to see this.

Yes I agree with Chris. Many of the new tools are too slow to use efficiently on high res imagery - this certainly applies to Puppet Warp, the new paint mixer technology.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2010, 12:33 PM

Good to see you again, MZ. You've been missed.

Where content aware shines is in restoration. There things are often already so messed up that almost any shortcut (that actually works, that is) is worth it. The images are rarely high res, so the new tools work ok there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2010, 02:02 PM

I've found very little use for content aware healing.

Sadly, the amount of work cleaning up the mess it often leaves behind it's just as well to do it by hand, instead of doing it one and a half times longer.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 PM

yep MZ..thought you disappeared....
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration