RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

Best way to repair skin damage ?

Old 04-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Patron

Best way to repair skin damage ?

I have been attempting a restoration of one of the Archive images http://www.retouchpro.com/archive/sh...1/limit/recent and have come across a problem area shown in the attachment (forgive the clumsy attempt at cloning - just an experiment really ).

I would like to minimise the work to repair the areas around the nose mouth and chin and obviously retain the texture of the original skin tones. Any tips please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stainboysection.jpg (91.8 KB, 79 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Patron

Re: Best way to repair skin damage ?

Tony, I am not sure what direction you took to get to the attached image but I think if you had taken a different approach you would not have the problem you are shoing in the attachment. If you take the orig, as pointed to in your link, duplicated the background, Image > Apply Image and applied the Red channel to that layer, and change the blend mode of the layer to Luminosity, you would have ended up with virtually none of the grunge you now have. Having evened out the luminosity, you could next get rid of the magenta stain by adding a new layer set to Color blend mode and paint over it with a good skin color. The clone tool can then attack the spots and splotches that remain.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Patron

Re: Best way to repair skin damage ?

Murray, you are correct in the first sentence - I did take the wrong direction and ended up with a lot more work to do than was really necessary.

I was so nearly there using apply image to first get rid of the Magenta stain. I did not see to take this action further as you describe !

I picked this particular image to see how quickly I could complete to a reasonable level. My biggest mistake was not studying it in more detail before making the first move. Instead I recall thinking quick correction of the magenta stain then a bit of cloning / patching here and there!

Important lesson for me to take a little more time at the beginning of a project to consider what needs to be done, best methods and in what order

Your solution quick elegant and time saving. I will start again with this image this time taking your suggested direction.

Thank you for your reply and taking the time to explain.

Regards
Tony
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration