RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Restoration Repairing damaged photos

help me remove extreme halo

Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM

help me remove extreme halo

Hey people i need help in removing extreme halo, i have tried horizontal blur, etc it removes parts of it but i then loose details further and its blurred.
now is there a way to mask out edges and blur or remove the halo somehow with overlay? so it dont effect the rest of the image on the halo bit?

i can manually do it, but i need a way to do this in batch mode and the pics are different, can someone help me out thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (67.8 KB, 126 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Re: help me remove extreme halo

so no one can remove this halo? im guessing cause it it really hard o well thanks anyways.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 PM

hi kopmjj and welcome to RP.

not sure what you mean by halo there, but if you're referring to the white line under and along the length of the arm, i'd use clone and push (smudge in photoshop) to get rid of it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2010, 07:35 AM

hi thanks for your reply:P
yes it is the white line but in other images its halo its like there 2 noses 2 hands etc.

but can i do your method in batch mode? i have thousands of images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 PM

I do film transfers and editing as part of my business, and to me, it looks like you're working on restoring/fixing a film. There's no real easy way to do this by batch, per se. A median or noise reduction filter might help, but it's gonna cause some damage to the detail of the video.

Some video software packages offer solutions to help you fix this right in the video itself; such as Adobe After Effects.

But, there's no quick, easy way to do it ..... you're gonna have to get down and dirty and detailed to fix this.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooB View Post
I do film transfers and editing as part of my business, and to me, it looks like you're working on restoring/fixing a film. There's no real easy way to do this by batch, per se. A median or noise reduction filter might help, but it's gonna cause some damage to the detail of the video.

Some video software packages offer solutions to help you fix this right in the video itself; such as Adobe After Effects.

But, there's no quick, easy way to do it ..... you're gonna have to get down and dirty and detailed to fix this.
is it possible to try to fix this in after effects using find edges then use that as mask than apply blur? so it only effects the edges and not the whole picture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopmjj View Post
is it possible to try to fix this in after effects using find edges then use that as mask than apply blur? so it only effects the edges and not the whole picture?
I'm not overtly familiar with After Effects personally, because I've only seen other people use it; I never needed it for my own work, since I don't do any heavy post production work outside of clipping, cut scenes, camera transitions, and laying out audio tracks etc. But, I've seen other people use it to remove objects and distractions from videos using tracking points. So, I imagine it could do what you're looking for somehow, you just need someone familiar with AE who could point you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2010, 10:03 PM

if this is a video, i'd check out video editing software. and if it's an mpeg 2 or later format, you may find a batch method, but i'm not real familiar with vid editing. but i'm fairly sure you're not going to find anything in a still editor to batch edit with the kind of precision you want. still, cs5 has some pretty incredible new tools, so never say never.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2010, 01:48 PM

its a video but i thought it will be easier working with image sequence better using photoshop etc, i can do this manually but will be a pain doing over 11,000 frames, can anyone whos an expert in photoshop give me any suggestions to do batch photoshop somehow.thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2010, 10:31 PM

video editing is, or at least can be, quite different from still editing. i mentioned mpeg 2 because it was the first one that didnt try to capture all of an image in every frame. basically, it just looked for differences from the last frame and captured only that part to save memory and file space. thus, i would think a video editor might well be able to work on the same principle... if you edit one thing in one frame, it would carry forward to the next in a like manner... sort of.

thus, again, i'd recommend looking into finding a good video editor.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Restoration